Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files names have turned blue!

• Please log in to reply

nshenkar

nshenkar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,
Some time ago, for no apparent reason, many file names in "My Documents" have turned blue!
Any idea how to change them back to black...?
Thanks,
Naomi

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Hi,
Some time ago, for no apparent reason, many file names in "My Documents" have turned blue!
Any idea how to change them back to black...?
Thanks,
Naomi

Usually when a filename appears in blue, that means that the file has been compressed. Have you turned this feature on lately?
Here is a Microsoft article on this subject - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307987
I believe that if you turn off the compression for these files, they will be "back in black" :)

You can also turn off the option to color the compressed files in blue - it's in the Microsoft article I linked. This will keep the compression but just turn off the blue. I would prefer to know which files are compressed myself.

Are you low in disk space? if you have plenty of space, why use compression?

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Interesting! I had no idea! I have plenty of free space - 273 GB. I certainly didn't do it myself so the feature must be turned on by default. Do you think I should turn it off? Is comprssing files harmful in any way?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Compressing the drive generally makes many aspects of the system slower and as with any compression it can lead to errors..

It is for this reason that Compress old files in DiskCleanup should not normally be checked. You will note that you can on the diskcleanup window when highlighting Compress old files and clicking the option button set the parameters. The default is 50 days. You may check to see what yours is.
For further info see this.
http://answers.micro...91-0cc329bd2c0a

My answer would be if YOU or someone else has set the compress generally, unset it.
Right click the drive in My Computer and click Properties - the option is on the General tab.

If you know beyond doubt that you or someone has not checked this option in error, then the matter needs further investigation
Do you have any other symptoms of anything different to normal.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 July 2011 - 01:57 PM.

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I checked, and 'compress drive to save disk space' is not checked in the disk properties.
However, under 'disk cleanup' there are no options to choose from - only whether you want it or not. I actually started running one just to see what happens, and I belive it IS compressing old files - how would I cancel that option in Windows XP?
Thanks a lot,
Naomi

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
By the way, although I don't know how it happened that all those files in 'my documents' were compressed - is there are way to decompress them - or point in doing so?

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, I may have found the right window - I right clicked 'disk cleanup' and up popped the options. Under the 'general' tab, 'advanced' - I found a box 'compress contenst to save disk space' - and that too is unchecked...

Any other ideas where an automatic compression could be switched on?

Thanks again,

Naomi

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Under the 'general' tab, 'advanced' - I found a box 'compress contenst to save disk space' - and that too is unchecked...

Yopu have looked in the wrong place that is ONLY for that file ie: Diskcleanup

Open diskcleanup.
When it has finished preparing the report and the window opens with the various headings, click once on the compress old files, then click the options button. see my screenshot.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 July 2011 - 03:03 PM.

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Got it, thanks a lot!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So what was the result, what was it set at please?

Advertisements

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"Compress old files" was unchecked. Disk cleanup has to be activated manually, right? It doesn't do it automatically?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate Compress Old files is unchecked but if you DO check it and then go to the options - as my screenshot - how many days are shown.

Do you have any so called Maintain My Computer - or such similar suggestions - program installed.?
If you are in anyway unsure of what you are running

It may be easier if you did this please.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
RUN the test ANON
That is at the end of the page that opens - when you click the Overdrive test
If you do not wish to create a free user account, you can still run overdrive anonymously

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 July 2011 - 02:44 PM.

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So here goes:

Compress old files says 50 days;

No computer maintenance program is installed to the best of my knowledge;

And here are the test results: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24475945

So, what's the verdict...?

Thanks,

Naomi

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am reasonably certain that the below mentioned are NOT the cause of the problem. However I am absolutely certain that these are matters you should address.

If Microsoft Security Essentials is running in real time, which it is unless you have disabled real time protection

Microsoft Security EssentialsThen you MUST disable Windows Defender which certainly is running in real time
Windows Defender Microsoft Malware Protection Microsoft Corporation 5 72
These programs are unnecessary as Microsoft Security Essentials updates itself.
McAfee Security Scan Plus
(2.0.181.2) McAfee, Inc. 12/6/10 Posted Image McAfee Security Scan Plus
(2.0.181.2) McAfee, Inc. 12/6/10 Posted Image McAfee Security Scan Plus
(2.0.181.2) McAfee, Inc. 12/6/10 Posted Image
You have a file on C drive which is highly fragmented DO YOU KNOW what it is
Drive File Name File Size Fragments C:\ 15.2.2010.pst 428.20 MBs -98

Additionally to that you have 25% data fragmentation on C drive
C:\ 476937 MB 25% 12%Use this, you will be there all night with Windows defrag.
Your hard drive is seriously fragmented. RUN A DISCLEANUP first, the procedure is described below. Then the defrag

Run a disk cleanup
That is Start, programs, accessories, system tools, diskcleanup, check all boxes EXCEPT Compress Old Files and run the clean.
Then -
Download Auslogics defrag and run that. DO NOT PLEASE use any other offered program from Auslogics.
Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
  • It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
    It will actually show you what it is doing
    At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
    You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

There is more to do, please post back when you have done this.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 July 2011 - 01:56 PM.

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your advice! This is starting to get somewhat over my head; will wait for my dad to do the above...

Thanks again,

Naomi