Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files names have turned blue!

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
nshenkar

Are you still having problems with your issue or is everything now running correctly?
It has been 10 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 August 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

nshenkar

nshenkar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I now know why file names turn blue - they have been compressed - although I still don't know why they were compressed in the first place.
I have been recommended to take maintenance action on my computer (disk cleanup, defrag), which is still on my to-do list... :-)

Thanks for all your help,

Naomi

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Yes I know it was me that suggested it

Run a disk cleanup
That is Start, programs, accessories, system tools, diskcleanup, check all boxes EXCEPT Compress Old Files and run the clean.
Then -
Download Auslogics defrag and run that. DO NOT PLEASE use any other offered program from Auslogics.
Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

• It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
    It will actually show you what it is doing
    At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
    You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

The I would have folowed it with other recommendations.
If you still wish help post back when you have done as above