Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am looking to purchase a new Laptop. Basically I have a current desktop, but starting some online classes so I will need a separate, dedicated system. I have been out of the PC buying game for a while, and looking for some pointers and recommendations on what to look for/or what good laptops are out there for a reasonable price. I don't need anything fancy, basically going to be online, word processing, work from home. Def need wireless.

Although a Mac would be nice, They are a bit pricey, and also due to untested security, I cannot log in through VPN for work with them so....

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What you look for are no different than what you want in a PC, except with a notebook, most users are concerned with weight, thickness, and battery run time.

You did a great job of describing the primary purpose of this system, but you failed to post a budget. If you are trying to go as cheap as you can, beware, you will get a cheap computer - with limited upgrade or repair options (an inherent problem with notebooks anyway).

You also need to decide how you will be using this notebook most of the time. That is, with a full size keyboard and mouse? Or the notebook's keyboard and touchpad. Will you connect to a full sized external monitor, or use the notebook's most of the time. If you will be lugging the notebook back and forth every day, weight and size matter.

PS: I deleted your other thread, same subject. Please do not "shotgun" post your problem.

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank. Regarding budget, I am thinking in the $500-$1000 range. Regarding use.. This will mainly be a "stay at home" computer, working on a desk with a mouse,and yes, at times connecting into a dual monitor. I don't necessarily need a number keypad...

I have seen some decent HP notebooks out there, but figured I would get some other thoughts.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If this computer will be a primary use computer, the more money you can put into it is probably the better because it will have a nicer display and better performance. If a stay at home computer, you will get more for you money with desktop.
I think you should visit stores and site and see what you can get for $500, $750, and $1000, and then go from there.

I like my Toshiba. HP and Dell make decent notebooks. Not sure I would go for an Acer/Gateway/eMachine.