Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not boot at all

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Greetings to everyone!

Today, my PC spontaneously crashed, for no reason at all. I was chatting on Chat.hu (uses Java), while working with Text-Osterone (a small program which creates neat effects on a picture), and listened Winamp, when my PC froze. I rebooted, but this time, the computer froze yet again two minutes after it loaded the desktop and everything else. Now I can't even load Safe Mode!!! The PC freezes at the Windows XP statusbar screen, or the welcome screen in Safe Mode. Nothing works, not even the "Last known good configurations" option, I can't do anything.

During every loading, a slight "click" can be heard from inside the PC, and sometimes the PC emits a short, low "beep" when freezing up, if that helps.

Can someone tell me, how can I eradicate this problem once and for all? Here are my system configurations:

AMD Athlon x2 3000 (3 years old)
Gigabyte S motherboard (2 years old)
GeForce GT 220 Gainward (shiny new)
2 GB RAM memory
600 W power supply (shiny new)

The computer clock was working fine, so the motherboard battery shouldn't be the problem. But then...?

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Download, burn and run Puppy Linux from here: http://puppylinux.or...ing Started.htm

This way you can determine if it's a hardware fault.

Clicks are usually a bad hard drive.

Edited by skifxr, 20 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Looks like it's a software problem - works fine after Windows re-install (at least it LOOKS like working fine...let us hope!!!). I do have a very important question.

How to delete the old version of Windows XP from the hard drive??? At booting, the system still sees it as a legit opsystem, and it takes up valuable space!

Hphelllp

Hphelllp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer will not boot up even in safe mood???it goes to a blue screen circa second then goes right back to hp screen then goes to safe mood page.will not boot??? Help

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
What does "blue screen circa second" mean?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Download, burn and run Puppy Linux from here: http://puppylinux.or...ing Started.htm

This way you can determine if it's a hardware fault.

Clicks are usually a bad hard drive.

I agree with the bad hard drive as this is usually the case. Would you be able to tell us the make of your hard drive? You can do this by :-

• Click start and goto run
  • In the run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter
  • Expand disk Drives and there it will tell you the make and model of your hard drive

Hphelllp please can you make your own topic in this forum as users can get confused when 2 different topics are active in one thread.

Thanks