Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Constant crashing

• Please log in to reply

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer was fine until my brother left the house, then I've been redoing the hd every week or so. The network is slow, programs freeze real bad, and while I can surf the net I can't download. I haven't been doing much with my computer to diagnose but I can't come up with anything. My brother is a wanna be hacker and really mad at me, so I am wondering if he is accessing the network to mess with me- it is the only thing I can think of. I have uverse. I did a hijackthis:

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 July 2011 - 10:35 AM.
Removed non-essential log

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all since you openly admit:

My brother is a wanna be hacker

I suspect this as your issue.
Next the log you added is not used in this forum so we will use what we need to find the answer.
Are you getting BSOD's and do you have any technical info from them?
If not please do the falling.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Also include the following information.
Desktop or Laptop?
Name bran or custom built system?
If name brand what brand, make and model.
If custom built what brand, make and model is the motherboard.

I haven't been doing much with my computer to diagnose but I can't come up with anything

What diagnostics have you run and what did it show if anything?

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'd love to download bluescreenview but I can't download anything. It's a cutom built desktop, MSI motherboard MS-7592, cannot tell more specific cause the numbers are under my video card. No blue screen of deaths, just the freeze with hardware music.
I've done hijackthis, looked at taskmanager and looked in my registry at run, runonce and the other run. On task manager it shows 80+% cpu usage and 99% idle process while running intensive programs like left4dead.

Edited by Maxwel Nicoll, 21 July 2011 - 10:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have access to another system where you can download the programs and then transfer them to the problem system via flash drive or cdrw?

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not easily. Are there any other ways to diagnose?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm trying but I cannot upload pics. The first one is the browser cannot retrieve a list of servers from the browser master on the network, warning 8021. 2: the printer added or updated files but I haven't hooked up to the printer, warning 20. 3:error id 20 security update wasn't installed sucessfully. And finally it says I have bad blocks, but I've run chkdisk several times and fixed them. Is chkdisk useless at that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
chkdsk is good but in order to truly find out you need to run HD diagnostics which means you need to download the manufacturers diagnostic program.
Until you can do that then we move on to the next program.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran the program, it did ask for my xp disk, I had a bunch of bad signatures- several in wmp, an asferror.dll and a few more.

Edited by Maxwel Nicoll, 21 July 2011 - 01:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any crashes for the last 3 hours?

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It hasn't crashed in about a week to week and a half. The last time it did it I reformatted and reinstalled xp. It ran fine intill about 2 days ago when the same symptoms started up again. Following what has happened, it'll crash in 2-4 days.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like WMP is what caused the crashes and hopefully with the SFC ran and it correcting those files it should have taken care of the issue now. At this point it is waiting time. You could try running WMP and see if it crashes again.

Maxwel Nicoll

Maxwel Nicoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wmp was really slow, the noise and what not still happened. So I wondered if restarting my computer would help.
Windows loaded up with a login box, not the welcome screen, asking for login name and password. password was easy but I couldnt remember my name, it was different.
Same thing in safe mode so I tryed to repair with the cd. It only asked for my password, so I typed it in, roar. Wrong password.
So I called my friend and talked to him, while I did that I looked on the other computer on the network and it didnt recognize my computer, but it did yesterday.

10 at night I'm on a new hd, formatted and reinstalled xp, again. I'm trying to get this huge job and also doing some legal work so this really slowed me down.
I have my doubts a bad wmp is doing it.

The legal work has to do with my brother and if he's bored he'd mess with my computer. If I could find evidence of him hacking my network it would be gold to me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know which chkdsk you ran but lets try this.
Also in response to you not being able to attach the pics from the event viewer. Did you save the pics as jpegs instead of the default bmp's? If not they will not attach.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.