Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to the internet, diagnosis says no problems

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Every night from around 8-10 pm i suddenly can't connect to the internet. If i type in a web address one of two things will happen; 1) it will almost immediately tell me it couldn't connect or 2) it might load the header of the site then carry on trying to load the rest forever without managing it. Right clicking my network icon in the system tray and running the troubleshooter for diagnostics just asks "what type of problem are you having" or something; the message that comes up when there's no error found. There's also no yellow ! icon over it which there is if there is a connection issue.

What could be making my computer seem to be connected but no connection actually making it through? Restarting the router can sometimes help but only for a few minutes and it's usually a few hours or sometimes the next morning before i can get back online again. I've only recently bought this internet connection about a month ago and it worked fine for the first 3 weeks or so.

I'm in UK, provider is Orange Broadband and router is Netgear N150 - DGN1000

Edited by hypnoticstate, 21 July 2011 - 01:23 PM.

Advertisements

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Anyone? The evening is fast approaching and I'd like to get this sorted before it gets here.

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
next time this issue comes up, could you try to ping google.com, and let us know if you get any time-outs?
To run the ping, open your start menu, and either choose "run" en then type in "cmd", and press ok (in case you are using windows XP) or type "cmd" directly in the search bar in the startmenu and then press enter(for vista/win7.
in the window that appears, type:
"ping google.com" and then press enter

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Will do.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Here's the report. Not looking good.

Posted Image

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Could really use the help guys

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
can you run a trace to google.com, both when your connection is doing fine, and when it's experiencing these issues?
Same steps as before, but now, instead of ping, use tracert (so, in command prompt, tracert google.com)

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
This is when it's WORKING
Posted Image

If it happens again tonight I'll do it again and show the results here.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Doesn't seem to be doing it tonight for some reason. Would having my Xbox 360 set as a DMZ matter? I removed it today as the DMZ and now it isn't happening. To clarify; i haven't used my xbox at all during these outages so it has been off and it might just be coincidence.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Very unusual for time related network outages to be a local issue. Have you contacted your ISP?

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No but they're notoriously bad for customer help so i came here first. I'll be getting in touch with them if no one here can think of anything and if it happens again.