Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

not sure if this is correct place

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Tapping F8 before start-up does bring me to a DOS page with about 8 choices to choose from, but only a split second to scroll to 'safe mode w/ networking' and hit enter. Not enough time

When you are no that page, there should be ample time to scroll to the entry Safe Mode with networking and start on that.

I am trying to establish if a start up item or driver in normal mode is preventing the keyboard from working

Advertisements

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
<<When you are no that page, there should be ample time to scroll to the entry Safe Mode with networking and start on that.>>
No the keyboard has no function, no num/cap lights

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You said

Tapping F8 before start-up does bring me to a DOS page with about 8 choices to choose from, but only a split second to scroll to 'safe mode w/ networking' and hit enter. Not enough time.

Now you say

No the keyboard has no function, no num/cap lights

I presume the keyboard worked to press F8, so see if you can enter setup which is usually F2, but will be shown on first post screen as Press ? to enter setup.
If you get into setup ie: the BIOS screen check that the time and date are shown correctly.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 July 2011 - 04:35 PM.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
all's well there

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I can offer no other suggestion than to wait until the keyboard does work., which you have said it does after some reboots and then try F8 Safe mode and see if it works OK in Safe Mode.
It appears to me that a driver or program is preventing the keyboard and mouse working, as soon as Windows loads.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
It was working just fine yesteray in safemode. I'll try again in am.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
at coldboot I can f8, but then the keyboard is dead. the mouse always works now, I think because I updated it. hardware helper says the keyboard also needs updating, but there is none. I'm going to buy a new board soon. TY for the help. can you direct me to a psswrd protction program for Outlook Ex?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Protect Your Email in Outlook Express with a Password
To protect your email in Outlook Express with a password:

• Select File | Identities | Manage Identities from the menu.
  • Highlight your identity.
  • Click Properties.
  • Make sure Require a password is checked.
  • Type the desired password under New Password and Confirm New Password.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK again.
  • Finally, select Close.
Good luck please let me know how it goes with the new KB

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
this does not protect emails previously up/downloaded.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not use it, so I do not know.
  • On the Internet Mail Logon page, type your account name and password.

Note:
    If you're concerned about break-ins to your e-mail, click to clear the check in the Remember Password box. You'll then be prompted for the password each time you send or retrieve mail.
    Posted Image
  • Click Next, and then click Finish.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
zeek-I-said
Are you still having problems with your issue or is everything now running correctly?
It has been 7 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
it will be quite sometime before I can actually afford a new keyboard- I am on a fixed income. however the issue with the mouse persists putting my driver theory back on the board. I have another like it...somewhere here, i'll find it and switch off later today.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Also- about Outlook, if I do set-up a PW and someone launches it, it does ask for a PW to send or recieve. If that person clicks 'cancel' then emails previously sent and recieved can be viewed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I apologise that you have waited a couple of days.
I have been very busy.

Does this help
http://office.micros...A001113851.aspx

It should solve the issue of securing your emails in Outlook, depending on the version you use.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 August 2011 - 02:53 PM.

zeek-i-said

zeek-i-said

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
You have no idea how annoyed I am right now! Three months ago sommetimes my keyboard would not run after an all night cold boot, a restart did the trick, after a while it took more and more. Three weeks later the mouse did the same. Then it became on/off and reboot. I started asking on geeks Togo.com I learned I need to update both drivers. I did the mouse, but none exist for the keyboard. The mouse seemed fine so I decided to buy a new keyboard w/ a driver when I can afford it. Thurs. morning it got worse- the keyboard would just crap out after a good boot(just like 5 mins ago). Afterr rebooting aabout 20 times the mouse also clapped-out. Finally on a reboot I pressed F10(sys recovery) It asked for 3 system tests Then it said the recovery would make the system the same as when it came from the manufacturer,but no files would be lost. I thought, oh cool. Kind of like an old Packard Bell restore but I get to keep my files. Don’t believe that**************** second. Again I lost my coin logs + address book important files and more. Right now I’m trying to get spell check to work on OE, I did have it by d/ling a 3rd party device…now I’m lost. Any clue? My system was perfect too.
On another forum folks say it sounds like a worm. I'd say this is unlikely since I run Norton 360, not now since the restore, but I am running Norton Internet Security. I need to know by tommorow if it's safe and advvisable to buy a new keyboard? Can a keyboard get infected then spread a virus to another PC?

Edited by zeek-i-said, 20 August 2011 - 05:07 PM.