Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HP Pavillion - Powers up but will not communicate to monitor mouse or

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Afternoon all,

Acient computer I have here and has developed an annoying fault. Shortly after a reformat when I would power up the computer it will not communicate to the monitor, keyboard or even mouse, no untoward beep to indicate a video card failure.

The only way to get around it is to turn the power off at the socket leave it for 20 seconds or so, try again and lo and behold it starts up fine yet if I were to shut down and try and turn it on again I would have to walk to the plug again.

Note* I don't know whether this is material or not, I did knock the little battery in the motherboard so I had to reposition it back in, I can not see it being toomuch of an issue as the computer can hold the system time perfectly.

Computer is a:

HP Pavillion m1000.uk
XP Home Media Centre Edition

If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great.

Edited by dan3411, 22 July 2011 - 11:35 AM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,675 posts
Hi dan3411
Possible causes may include a failing PSU, a loose power connection or dust, when was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out, see below for how to do this safely;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory stick/s, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.