Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP MCE Suddenly Slow

• Please log in to reply

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, I just can't figure out what the problem is...

On sunday night I ran a DVD Encoding software (Sonic MyDVD) to copy one of my recorded films from the MCE to a DVD. The next morning I booted my system to find that it took nearly 10 minutes to load. I've never had this problem with it before and it is quite a new system.

It loads up to the welcome screen really really quick which is fine, when I click on a user account, the welcome screen takes a while to disapear. Then it goes into windows however it only shows the background wallpaper and nothing else. I look at the task manager and explorer.exe is running, however the system Idle process is at 99%, now I thought if explorer.exe is meant to be loading the taskbar that would be taking some usage, but no nothing.

It just sits with a blank wallpaper for around 5 minutes, then the lights on the HDD start to flash and it eventually loads up, the system then runs really slow, music skips, video skips... everything, even programs take ages to load and hang a lot. I've cleared all temp folders, i've done a disk cleanup and defragment, i've ran spybot and ad-aware, i've ran updated anti-virus, everything but i've had no luck and its still very slow.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing this?

Thanks

Kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Tune-Up Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, this takes a while and needs a reboot

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Keith for your quick reply, I'm running off a laptop at the minute but the second I get home i'll give that tune up a go and let you know the results.

Cheers

Kevin

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, i've got someone else to run that program at home for me and apparently its found over 400 problems which is a bit strange as I didn't think I had that many but oh well... i'm just waiting for the optimisation to be done then i'll give you the results... I do have Hijack this on my system at home so I'll try and get that ran if this doesn't work.

Cheers

Kevin

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Right its been rebooted and its still as slow so that hasn't done anything, do you have any more ideas?

Kevin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;896474

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, using a remote connection i've been able to do all of what the microsoft site says, however there wasn't much to delete as i'd already got rid of all the temp files, the only thing I did differently was to change the paging size... I managed to get a hijack this log, which is the following:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:51:59, on 31/05/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\WEBSER~1\APACHE2\BIN\Apache.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Web Server\MySQL\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WEBSER~1\APACHE2\BIN\Apache.exe
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\slrundll.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcsplay.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\PhilipsRemote.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\MM_DIR~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rdpclip.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\KevinM2k\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://format.packar...se=6&key=SEARCH
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = file://C:\APPS\IE\offline\uk.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Packard Bell
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VCSPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcsplay.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AnyDVD] C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PhilipsRemote] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\PhilipsRemote.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=file://C:\APPS\IE\offline\uk.htm
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {3FE16C08-D6A7-4133-84FC-D5BFB4F7D886} (WebGameLoader Class) - http://www.miniclip....bGameLoader.cab
O16 - DPF: {4D7F48C0-CB49-4EA6-97D4-04F4EACC2F3B} (InstallShield Setup Player 2K2) - http://sib1.od2.com/...2/OCI/setup.exe
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D99A6A07-CE2C-47AE-9043-523FCD826CA1}: NameServer = 80.225.252.178 80.225.252.186
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apache2 - Unknown owner - C:\WEBSER~1\APACHE2\BIN\Apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: MySql - Unknown owner - C:/Web Server/MySQL/bin/mysqld-nt.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPH11 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPHipm11.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual CD v4 Security service (SDK - Version) (VCSSecS) - H+H Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe

Has this got any problems, i'd love to be able to understand all this, but at the minute I don't really...

Thanks for all this keith.

Kev

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That makes two of who would like to understand a Hijack This log, fortunately there is a section dedicated to deciphering them, so could you post this log to the malware section of these forums

http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hijack post here:
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=30496

I'll post back here when I get results of Hijack this log.

Kevin

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
;) ;) :)

Hi, can anyone think of anything else I can try? Im going to try the command "sfc /scannow" when I get home as you need admin priviledges. Computer is no faster, and it still takes forever to boot up... it can't be hardware as it loads upto windows really quick its only when I load windows for the first time... if I load another user in (using the switch user) its really quick and explorer loads up straight away, its only when you first load explorer and its not open anywhere else... there has to be someone who had this error or has this problem. I wouldn't mind too much if it didn't lag when I opened programs... but when simply playing a music file causes it too skip, it just gets a little unusable.

I am still waiting for hijack logs however I did a quick scan of it, an I can't really see anything that could be wrong with it.

Anyone got any ideas??? :tazz:

Kevin

KevinM2k

KevinM2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
After playing around with it all night, i came up with a few things however none of which where solutions...

Safemode ran quick... I ran a virus scan in it and it started to slow down, I then disabled virus scan and it went quick again, however i've fully scanned with no viruses, and i've also used online virus scans with no threats.

Explorer isn't causing the problem as the system still runs slow without explorer.exe running.

When I am waiting at the desktop for everything to kick in, I can open task manager and if I start the process iexplore.exe it loads internet explorer nice and fast, but then it'll instantly lock up, until the 4 minutes or so are up, (until the system decides it wants to work) then it'll start working again like the rest of the system, but it stutters and is slow on everything you do, including just moving the mouse around the screen.

Still no reply to hijack this.. maybe no one knows?!?! Any more help would be great.

Thanks

Kev

Lancastrian

Lancastrian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Out of interest are you using Norton Antivirus?

I am using Norton Antivirus (I was using version 2003) and had the same problem with Windows booting up but unable to use the PC for 5 or so minutes (taskbar locked with hourglass) until I changed the Windows Services "Symantec Event Manager" from Automatic start to manual start up.

Recently installed NAV 2006 and had no problems until last night it came back to haunt me after I'd had lots of problems trying to set up a workgroup in home networking (another problem - it worked then stopped working). Anyway out of curiousity I went into Windows Services manager and changed Symantec Event Manager to manual start up and the problem went away.

Anyone else had this problem with Norton?

Hope this helps you if you've got Norton AV.