Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shockwave Flash periodic crashing

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
This has been going on for quite some time and while it not really that much of a problem, it is a curious problem. Every so often, maybe once a week, I will boot up my laptop and all will seem fine until I attempt to play some kind of media. Whatever I am trying to access will freeze and crash and I will need to restart my laptop to get back to normal. When this happens I cannot do any of the following,

- listen to music within iTunes or Spotify
- watch videos online (YouTube, ect.)
- watch a video off my hard drive through VLC media player

When this happens within my chrome browser I will get a message saying that Shockwave Flash has crashed.
Like I said it is very infrequent and will only happen immediately after I boot it up, never after a while of using it.

And speaking about crashes, iTunes in particular has crashed once a week randomly for the past 5 weeks or so for seemingly no reason. And every once in a while I will get a cryptic message talking about an error regarding a file when I go to shut down my computer when iTunes is still open. Again this is just a random occurrence that doesn't really disrupt my usage but is weird. If it happens again I will write it down.

If anyone has experienced this themselves and/or has any kind of advice beyond re-installing programs (believe me I have tried that) I would really appreciate it. Now, onto the technical details,

Hardware: Dell Studio XPS 1640
any other info you may need just let me know.

Edited by Zook, 22 July 2011 - 01:10 PM.

Advertisements

reactech

reactech

• Pip
  • 1 posts
its a shockwave flash crashing issue.. do the following things to fix it >>

Update your browser
Download Registry Cleaner Software
Disconnect From Internet
Uninstall Adobe Flash Player
Remove Shockwave Player/Disable Plugin From Browsers
Conduct Scan for Active-X, Registry and Flash Errors
Reinstall Flash
Reinstall Shockwave Flash Plugin

the comprehensive procedure is outlined here, its good and works, you can ignore the other things in it:

shockwave flash crash