Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot uninstall ie 9

• Please log in to reply

charliewykes

charliewykes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi, I installed the IE9 beta which did not work properly. Since then I have not been able to install the WIN 7 SP1 64bit service pack or IE9 full release despite trying various fixes. Therefore I want to try uninstalling IE9 beta but it isn't listed in add/remove programs. Is there another way to remove it?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hi, I installed the IE9 beta which did not work properly.

I had the same problem so I stuck with Mozilla Firefox 5.0 and loads of people have had the same issues. I shall try and remove this 1 of 2 ways. Please see below

• Download Revo Uninstaller (free edition) from here Select the one on the left which is version 1.92
  • Save the file to your desktop, for example C:\users\your username goes here\desktop
  • Double click the file to open and install it
  • Find the programs you wish to remove and double click them to begin the removal process
  • Make sure you do the advanced uninstall as it removes the whole program

If this fails please try the following

• Go into Uninstall or change a program (add/remove programs)
  • Click view installed updates
  • Find Internet explorer 9
  • Right click your program you wish to remove and select uninstall

The second option works as have tried it my-self. This is just my own opinion but I would stay clear of Internet Explorer 9 as the only thing I have heard is bad reports.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 22 July 2011 - 02:29 PM.

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks but my problem is that ie 9 does not show up as an installed program, either with Revo or via add/remove programs. Using hunter mode on Revo gets a report that no installer package was found. Yet if I launch IE a corrupt and useless version of ie 9 opens.

Edited by charliewykes, 23 July 2011 - 12:50 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
When you goto Uninstall or change a program does Internet Explorer appear in there?

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
As I've said, no it does not

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi charliewykes, wizzy2k5,

Please pardon my intrusion. :)

Charlie, I had the same trouble as well trying to find the area in which to look for IE9 to uninstall not long ago, too. IE9 is not a program, it is a system component that is installed as an update. Let's see if I can help you find it.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.

In the upper left hand corner of the dialogue screen you will see where it states Control Panel Home in the Tasks pane. Just under Control Panel Home you will see View installed updates. Click on that. See image below:

Posted Image

Please allow some time for the list to populate. Once populated, that should show a list of installed updates as far back as when the OS was installed and you should be able to find the IE9 update in that list.

Proceed to follow Step #4 in wizzy2k5's instructions above in post #2.

Edited by DonnaB, 02 August 2011 - 04:24 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi DonnaB the user has tried this and has not worked. I have found a possible solution from Microsofts Help and Support.

Program Is Not Listed in Add/Remove Programs After Installation

Try all of the following in the resolutions

Uninstall the Program
Run the Uninstall Program Included in the Uninstall Folder
Use the Uninstall Command Displayed in the Registry
Shorten the Registry Key Name

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 July 2011 - 06:54 AM.

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi, thanks but I can't find it in the registry. I think I'd need something more step by step than the article gives.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I have found an article direct from Microsoft that will solve this issue :) This is used for Internet Explorer 8 but this will be the same method for Internet Explorer 9. Please watch the short video which can be found here

Thanks

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Sorry doesn't work. IE 9 shows up as a windows feature but unticking it generates the message "an error has occurred. Not all the features were changed". On rebooting the computer, the corrupt version of IE 9 remains.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

The next step I would now like to try is nice and simple and it may fix the issue. Please download the full version of Internet Explorer 9 and do a full installation and then reboot the system. When you have rebooted the system try removing it using the method shown in the previous video.

This will fix any corrupted files so you will have a fresh installation and then you maybe able to fix the issue you are experiencing. The only other option I can think of after this will be a format and reinstallation but I shall see if I can come across anything else which could solve this problem out.

What you could also try is to make a new user account and remove it from there and if it works delete the old user account which will be another idea to try before a format is considered.

Thanks

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Nope sorry doesn't work. I can't install IE9 as a standalone - it reports as 'failed to install' and so doesn't create an uninstaller

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to restore the system back to a date before the original install of IE9?