Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

READ ONLY error

• Please log in to reply

eddie460

eddie460

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a large document (file) on my hard drive that I created recently. I am Using MS Word 2007 and WIN7.
Now when I attempt to make changes and save the file I get the message that the file is READ ONLY. I did not knowingly make it that way. When I look at the Properties it does not have READ ONLY checked. Under the Security tab: Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, Read and Write all have check marks. Special Permissions, does not have a check mark.
How do I change the READ ONLY to allow me to do things to my own file?
Your help is appreciated,
Eddie460

Edited by eddie460, 22 July 2011 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I see no one has offered any help. Not sure if I can be as I do not use Win 7. It could be the folder where it is stored that has the Read Only property. If it's been stored in the Systems Documents folder, it should not be set to Read Only but could be. Maybe Open and browse backwards checking folders properties as you did with the file itself. Make sure Word 2007 has not had the options changed for document properties. Can you change the file name by browsing to the file with Windows Explorer? Then click to open to Word. make changes and see if you have same problem. You could also try using OpenOffice Suite which is free and compatible with MS Office Suite.

Edited by AstraNut, 24 July 2011 - 04:47 PM.

eddie460

eddie460

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you, Astranut
eddie460

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
You're welcome. Post back if you find the solution and what it was.