Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent freezing running Vista - wipe and reinstall not working

• Please log in to reply

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop running Vista home basic that freezes up frequently and I was told to wipe the computer totally and reinstall everything using the recovery discs provided with the laptop. This has now been done several times but it still freezes up. I am now thinking there is a different issue with this laptop since the wipe and reinstall aren't fixing the problem. I have just reinstalled everything today so I am on a fresh clean slate. Can someone please help me figure out the problem with this computer? Thanks a bunch!!

Jenn

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you looked in your event viewer to see if any problems crop up there? When does it lock up and in what programs is the computer locking up? If you turn off the networking and stay off line does the problem persist? Have you checked to see if your antivirus or a installed program causing the problem? Does the laptop freeze even after a fresh reinstall? I take it that the computer is out of warranty? Please include as much info as you possibly can of what you have done to try correcting the problem.

SRX660

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Have you looked in your event viewer to see if any problems crop up there? When does it lock up and in what programs is the computer locking up? If you turn off the networking and stay off line does the problem persist? Have you checked to see if your antivirus or a installed program causing the problem? Does the laptop freeze even after a fresh reinstall? I take it that the computer is out of warranty? Please include as much info as you possibly can of what you have done to try correcting the problem.

SRX660

Hello,

I am sorry I don't know how to check those things you mentioned. I have been told the computer has been wiped and reinstalled a couple times and continues to freeze up. This computer wasn't originally mine, so I don't know all the details of the freezing issues. The computer is about 3 years old, I would guess its out of warranty. Like I said, I'm not the original owner, I am using this laptop as a spare to my desktop. The computer was reinstalled 7/22/11, so it's fresh. What should I do to check into this problem more?

Thanks!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
To open event viewer in vista.

Click start, then click system and maintenance, scroll down to administrative tools and click on View event logs. User account control window will popup and you click on continue.Event viewer will come up. wait until the summary of administrative events finishes loading (mine takes 15 seconds or so). If you then click on the different Window Logs you can see red circles that are error logs. if you click on each log it will show what the error is. If you right click on the error in the top window you can paste the error to this message board directly , or paste to a open notepad to keep on your taskbar so you can copy to your message when you are here at this forum. If you have repeat errors just post one error and say how many errors there are(anything above 10 of the same error just quit counting).

I still need to know if you are getting the freezes only in certain programs or just randomly in any or all the programs you use?

Again what antivirus program 0r programs are you using? any at all?

Just ask if you are confused and i will go into more and simpler details.

SRX660

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

To open event viewer in vista.

Click start, then click system and maintenance, scroll down to administrative tools and click on View event logs. User account control window will popup and you click on continue.Event viewer will come up. wait until the summary of administrative events finishes loading (mine takes 15 seconds or so). If you then click on the different Window Logs you can see red circles that are error logs. if you click on each log it will show what the error is. If you right click on the error in the top window you can paste the error to this message board directly , or paste to a open notepad to keep on your taskbar so you can copy to your message when you are here at this forum. If you have repeat errors just post one error and say how many errors there are(anything above 10 of the same error just quit counting).

I still need to know if you are getting the freezes only in certain programs or just randomly in any or all the programs you use?

Again what antivirus program 0r programs are you using? any at all?

Just ask if you are confused and i will go into more and simpler details.

SRX660

Thank you for your reply. I checked event logs and no errors are found. I am not the original owner of this laptop and these problems were only told to me by the previous owner, so I do not have any experience yet with the problems firsthand and I cannto give you any more info. This is a fresh install just a few days ago and the only thing I have done is install SP2 for Vista and update to IE 9. Norton 360 is in use. I have been surfing online here and there for the past 2 days since I got this laptop and I have not encountered any freezing or problems as of yet. I am here to get help with these known issues before I start full out using this computer daily and then find out I have to wipe and reinstall. This is why I asked if anyone knew what could be causing this problem I am being told about by the previous owner. Thank you again for your time.

jenn