Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Up DIsk WIndows XP

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I am attempting to assist my Mother who is several hundreds of miles away. Her computer runs Windows XP and she is getting a message when she turns her computer on "Insert Start Up Disc" She does not know where this disc is. How can I create a disc for her (my comuter runs XP) and mail to her?

Mom thanks you! She's 84 and gets very frustrated when her computer doesn't work.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Her hard drive probably failed and it can not find any bootable device. Have her put her Windows CD in and see if it boots from that.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks. If she can not find her Windows CD can she use mine? Or does the CD being used have to match the computer it was originally installed in?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depends on if this is a name brand system then she will need to use a OEM version of the OS and it has to be the exact version she has installed.
Home, Media, Pro or Ultimate
First step though is to check the bios to see if the hard drive is recognized there.
If so then hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer needs to be run to check the drive itself.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
A Windows CD is a Windows CD. It don't matter but if you are talking about recovery CDs then that's different. There are differences in Windows CDs too. Like OEM, retail, etc but for the sake of the experiment it doesn't matter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For bootup you are correct but if a Repair Installation or Parallel installation is done then there will be a issue as the reg key on the system will not work with a retail version if the system is a name brand.
Check the bios first and then if seen run the manufacturers HD diagnostics. If it shows no issue with the drive itself it may be a corrupted MBR or Boot.ini file.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
She has a Compaq Presario SR1910NX I have a set of Recovery Disk for a Presario SR1000Z (6 Discs - Professional Edition - Any chance these would work?

How do I have her check bios to see if the hard drive is recognized there?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button. Hers may be the F2, F8 or F12 button to enter the Bios or Setup area.
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
The General area will be the first screen in bios depending on the bios type.
Look for Hard drive and optical drivethere.

As far as your recovery disks I highly doubt they will work as it will install drivers for your system which may not allow her system to boot. If it does boot then she will have to get everything working manually and install all the correct drivers for her system.

All original drivers for her system are located HERE based on a standard XP installation.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Just called Mom and had her re-boot again (third time). Windows opened with no issues - Mom's happy, I'm relieved and appreciative of all your help! Thanks!!

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I would still run the diagnostic utilities supplied by the hard drive manufacturer and make sure if she has any important data files on her computer that they are backed up to a separate, physical hard disk or to an online backup solution like Wuala, Sugarsync or Dropbox.

Edited by skifxr, 23 July 2011 - 10:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with that kind of error it may be telling you the drive is failing.
Better safe then sorry at this point and it won't hurt anything.
Also you can run chkdsk \r to check the file system and disk integrity

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.