Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format/Clean out hard drive

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP. It used to run great, but then got bogged down and is a dog.. i feel it is virus related, but never could figure it out. I quit using it 2 years ago, but want to get it back in shape to use as a second comp for just basic online work and school.

I have re-formatted hard drives in the past with older versions of Windows, but wondering what my best move would be. There is nothing of importance on the comp, so I am not worried about losing anything, but MS doesn't give you the OS disc anymore.

If anyone knows a good step by step to "wiping the slate clean" it would be great.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have recovery disks for the system or have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the hd already?
Being that old I don't think the recovery partition was used at that point.
In order to install XP on the system you would need a OEM version of the same version of XP that was installed originally.
Home, Media or Pro.
There should be a sticker on the side or bottom that indicates the version that was originally installed along with the reg key.

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I do have the Reisntallation CD for Windows XP Home, and some others. Let me know. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is that what was originally installed on the system?

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
If any of your OS-discs are not currently used / installed = validated on another system, you could use any OS that your computer has the preq's for.
It is NOT possible to run 2 computers from the same installation disc.

I think Win XP is the most "workable" OS for you, and it is still supported by Windows Update till 2014, if I remember correctly.
And most importantly, after re-installing, make sure to install a descent firewall & AV scanner at a bare minimum.

Good luck Posted Image