Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply

smeagle

smeagle

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys,
need a little help. My computer boots up, I hear the windows opening music, but I get a message on my monitor that says "No signal". Does this sound like a mnitor problem or a graphics card problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi smeagle
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

My computer boots up, I hear the windows opening music

A failed graphics card would result in the computer aborting the boot process
at the POST (power on self test) stage.
Your OP suggests that the PC is a desktop so I suggest first check the PC to
screen lead for any signs of damage and that it is connected securely at both
ends (finger tighten only) and try hooking up to another screen, a laptop with
a VGA port will do, let us know how it goes.

smeagle

smeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks. Its a custom job built by a family member, so I'd have to do some digging. It is a PC. I was gonna hook my wife's laptop to it but don't have the proper cables. From your response though it does sound as tghough my monitor or cable is the problem. Checked the cable. connections are secure with no visible damage.

Edited by smeagle, 23 July 2011 - 03:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Does the PC to monitor cable not detach at the monitor end (if it is the older CRT type it may not) if it does it should be compatible with a VGA port on a laptop that has one.
What is the make and model of the monitor please.

smeagle

smeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Does the PC to monitor cable not detach at the monitor end (if it is the older CRT type it may not) if it does it should be compatible with a VGA port on a laptop that has one.
What is the make and model of the monitor please.

phillpower2,
Thanks for the response. Sorry for my slow response. To update you, I got a new monitor and found it was not the monitor. When I heard the windows startup sound in the background I didn't realize my computer was freezing up at that point. After installing the new monitor I found that to be the case. I tried rebooting and the computer shut down when booting up. Repeated attempts produced one or the other of the aforementioned behaviors. I also hooked up the old monitor again and found it to be working now, so I'm really leaning toward the video card. I was finally able to talk to my family member that built the computer for me. He's had a lot on his plate recently. Didn't realize it, but the mother board has a built in video card in addition to the add in card that we think is the problem. Tonight when I get home from work, I'm going to take out the add in card to see if the system will run with the built-in card. Wish me luck. i'll let you know how it turns out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Thanks for the update, your assessment would appear correct, it seems that like I said in post #2 a bad video chip or add on card results in an aborted boot process, there are other possible causes of this issue but checking the add on card and PSU is the correct procedure now.
Tip. If when you remove the add on card you still do not get a display remove the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, if you then get a display on first boot you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save the new settings (F10) and then Y to accept the new settings, this will restore the MB to the factory settings which includes enabling the MBs integrated video chip, good luck and I will look out for your update.
Thanks to rshaffer61 for the battery .jpeg

smeagle

smeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm so embarrassed but I'm gonna post this anyway in hopes it will help someone else. I removed the add-in video card and turned my machine with the same results. It would either not make it all the way through boot up or it would boot up and freeze. Called my nephew, who built the machine, and he said it sounds like the motherboard, which he could replace for me easily enough. So I decided before I took it to him I would give it a good cleaning. It had some dust buildup inside. The main fan on the motherboard was the worst. I guess it was the heat sink behind the fan that was coated with a fine layer of dust. When I tried to blow it out, it didn't all blow out, so I used q-tips to clean the dust off the heat sink behind the fan. That's when the thought occured to me that the computer was shutting itself down due to overheating. For grins I decided to boot it back up. Made it all the through boot. Decided to back up family pictures that I had not backed up for a few months while it was working. Made it through that. Decided to let it run all night to see what would happen. It was still running fine this morning, so I decided to leave it on all day while I was at work. If it's still running when I get home, I think I may have found the problem. I guess it's been a couple of years since it's been cleaned out.

So moral of the story folks, open up your computer periodically and blow it out. It will save you money in the long run.

Thanks for your help. If I have any more problems with it I will post an update.

Edited by smeagle, 27 July 2011 - 11:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
I am pleased to hear that the issue has now been resolved, thank you for allowing me to assist you and for posting the solution so that it may help others in the future :) :unsure:

NB: As you have found dust can cause chaos so inside the case requires regular cleaning (every 4-6 weeks) more frequent if you have pets or are smokers, be sure to also blow out the Ram and video card slots and if using compressed air hold all fans still to prevent damage.