Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new PC, need advice

• Please log in to reply

thaillmatic

thaillmatic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new and didn't know where else I should put it. Anyway, my current computer is getting old and am looking to upgrade. I only want to spend about $1000-$1200 and want to be able to play games at a good setting. While looking at hardware I came across this bundle and wanted to know what you guys thought. And am I still getting to need to get a heatsink?

http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.691226

Advertisements

thaillmatic

thaillmatic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
In retrospec (is that a word), I'm sure this kind of topic comes up every day. Really, the only question on my mind (because i'm sure all the hardware is just fine) is if I'm going to need to buy more fans or a heatsink. If you have suggestions or thoughts about anything though, I'd be happy to read your thoughts.

Edited by thaillmatic, 23 July 2011 - 12:50 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That case comes with

Rear: 120 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA
140mm Fans Front: 1 x 140 mm Blue LED fan
Top: 1 x 140 mm fan(supports 120 / 140 mm fan x 2)

That is excellent support and I would expect no cooling problems, assuming (1) you keep the interior clean of heat trapping dust, and (2) your ambient (room) temperature remains at a comfortable temp.

I don't see an OS listed. With 8Gb (my preferred amount) you will need 64-bit Windows 7.

And am I still getting to need to get a heatsink?

No. You don't need a 3rd party CPU heatsink fan (HSF) assembly. The OEM supplied HSFs are just fine. But note too, both AMD and Intel sell and warranty their CPUs with supplied OEM HSF assemblies as "a unit". Therefore, the terms of the warranties for both AMD and Intel dictate that both CPUs MUST be used with the supplied HSF, or you violate the terms of the warranty.