Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Would my CPU still work

• Please log in to reply

a.jenery

a.jenery

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

Situation: Dropped old PC (main reason why I'm doing a new build; currently I'm using Net cafes) and cracked m'board which I know is now totally useless, but the CPU was still firmly in the socket, etc, and there are no bent pins or any apparant damage.
Will the CPU still work and how can I test this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts
Hi :unsure: a.jenery :)
There is no reason why the CPU will not work if not damaged but unfortunately without a known good MB you cannot test or prove this, consider purchasing a used MB to test the CPU and if successful resell them as a bundle when the time comes, here is an example http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b3da1730 notice that it has an integrated video chip, this will make it easier to resell if you choose this option, the other option is to sell the present CPU as untested.

EDIT: The link is only to show what type of MBs are available and I am not endorsing the purchase of the item there.

Edited by phillpower2, 24 July 2011 - 04:41 AM.

a.jenery

a.jenery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Quote: ...but unfortunately without a known good MB you cannot test or prove this...' So, in other words, if I used this CPU (Athlon 64 x2) on a new m'board I would be taking one 'ell of a risk? This is my main concern, I must admit. So, I'll take your advice and sell it as untested and prob' get an Athlon II triple-core...

Many thanks for your help :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts
You are welcome and good luck with the new build :)

a.jenery

a.jenery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks! :)

These are on their way to me already (amounts in ££):

Case X-Case X601 Midi Tower 25.49
H.Drive BARRACUDA 320GB SATA 23.89
M'board Asus M4 Socket AM3 DDR3 29.85
Memory G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 48.33
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.00GHz 36.38
GFX Card MSI HD 5450 1GB 64bit DDR3 24.42
PSU Antec TruePower 650W Modular 66.65
Total 229.52
Incl' tax and delivery 300.95

The case has a 120mm fan lower-front which should create good airflow with the PSU fan top-rear, and I may put an additional fan on the side panel to cool the CPU even more.

Edited by a.jenery, 30 July 2011 - 06:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts

The case has a 120mm fan lower-front which should create good airflow with the PSU fan top-rear, and I may put an additional fan on the side panel to cool the CPU even more.

Good to see you recognise the importance of adequate case cooling, adding an additional side fan is a sensible idea :)