Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't boot properly

• Please log in to reply

gronk2

gronk2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension E521 running Windows XP Pro that wouldn't boot up 3 days ago. I took it to the shop that day and picked it up the next evening. The shop put a new HDD in it. When I got it home it wouldn't boot at all. Found that my 6-outlet surge suppressor was bad. Replaced it and everything seemed fine. I've spent the last couple days reinstalling programs. This evening after installing a few things I thought I would reboot since Super Anti Spyware was hanging up on updating. Now it takes nearly ten minutes to boot and when it does I can't move the cursor. The keyboard works though. It will not go into safe mode so I can't uninstall Super Anti Spyware (which may or may not be the culprit but I want to start somewhere).

Sorry so long-winded but I wanted to give a clear picture of what is happening. Any help anyone?

Edited by gronk2, 23 July 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot the XP Install CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).
[/quote]

gronk2

gronk2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would have tried that already but the shop upgraded my operating system from XP home to XP pro and didn't give me a CD with XP Pro on it. I wasn't sure if I could do that with my home version CD.

When I booted it this morning it took very long to boot again but this time after the boot I had control of the cursor so I immediately removed Super Anti Spyware. The next reboot worked fine and everything seems to be OK since then. I plan to reinstall the program (SAP) since I paid for it.

Thanks for the response. Can I use the Recovery Console (and chkdsk) from my XP Home version CD on this computer now that it has XP Pro version on it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I'm sure you can use the RC from Home with Pro and vice versa but you can't do a repair install.

Glad it's working. Let me know what happens when you reinstall SAS.