Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Office extremely slow to open saved docs

• Please log in to reply

Dolly99

Dolly99

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi Geeks

When I try to open a saved MS Office document (word, excel) it is extremely slow. Around 2 minutes to open the program then another minute to open the document. So if I am trying to open a doc from 'desktop' or 'my recent documents' it takes ages. My current work around is to open the MS Office program then open the document I want to work on from there.

I am using MS Office 2007.
Microsoft Windows XP

Computer:
Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU
E6950 @ 3.00GHz
3.00 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM

I am a complete novice when it comes to dealing with computer problems, my only fix is turn it off and back on again. Please use basic language and step by step instructions to help me.

Thank you for your time and any advice you can offer me.

Regards

Dolly

Advertisements

bretwt91

bretwt91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think it may be the hardware error. Normally it happens when ram
does not work properly. so you should try to change your ram and then
check your system speed.
But after doing this if you have the same problem
please tell me again.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Do all documents take so slow to open, or just the larger ones? Is it just MS Word, or do other programmes and browsers also take this long to open? If so, I agree it could be a RAM problem - it could even be that your PC just needs a clean (dust can build up over the years and literally blanket your PC like cotton wool) or that your fan isn't working properly.