Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
... Nothing seems to work for me, I've tried having no network card at all, trying different RAM, safemode (with networking) even crashes...

Sometimes I get the crash while its loading. (You know, the windoes screen with the blue or green bar going across.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think its most likely software or hardware? What proccesses are being turned on while its loading? Help?

Advertisements

jdconnolly1

jdconnolly1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I went back to basics I ran a scan disc. Then I blew out the PC with compressed air. Halo ran last night for over 2 hours and didn't crash It used to crash after about 20. The graphics card generates a lot of heat so the problem could have been thermal cutoff. I will run it all day today and let you know the results

jdconnolly1

jdconnolly1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
sr suicide,

My system was crashing every time I played an online geme. I saw very similar events as you. I reloded video drivers had a ticket open with MIcrosft for 3 week and it still crashed whenever I played an online game. I bought a can of compressed air at Comp usa and sprayed the cooling fans and the cd/dvd slot . I did this yesterdat and I had Halo running 8 hours yesteday with no crashed. Most PCs especially laptops have a thermal cutoff but it is not registered as a system event.

FYI

TitansFanN_Atl

TitansFanN_Atl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem. i foud a website that acknowledges the issue at hand just to let everyone know that it is doesn't appear to be hardware realated.

http://www.winxptuto...m/sp2/esent.htm

Another thing that happens to me is that when I try to run sfc /scannow it will also freeze.

I downloaded spybot s&d to check for spyware and it found coolsearch left over but it would freeze when it was looking for c2 lop. (had that issue before) so i downloaded adaware and it found all the spyware with out a problem. I wish that microsoft would hurry up and find a way to resolve this issue it has become very annoying.

will be monitoring this thread for suggestions and will post if I find a soulution for my system. [FONT=Arial]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, this will take a while so run it when you do not need the PC

You could also consider running the programmes here then posting a current Hijack This log to the malware forum

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
so many crashes can be handled kieth :tazz: ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Moshin,

The post from TitansFanN____Atl has the difference of it crashing when checking the system files, so maybe checking the disk will show / fix this, or there are other malware issues

Keith

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've noticed in my Event Viewer under System I get a minidump warning (I'm guessing shortly after my pc reboots) notification and it shows were I can find it (C:\windows\minidump). I Browsed to that folder and found that it references every reboot I had from an unexpected restart. Mine dates back to May 5th, when my random reboots started. Does anyone else have this same pattern?

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My PC took it's final reboot yesterday. I have rebuilt the PC and have experience no reboots. I guess I'll never be able to apply a fix to the issue.

sr-suicide

sr-suicide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry for my long reply time. I actualy managed to blow up my PSU.

I was talking to a guy and he believes that the problem is caused by the PSU... I intend to replace mine sometime soon and I will post if this fixes the problem of random crashing.

When you say you rebuilt your PC what did you do? Take everything out and put it all back?

Advertisements

humphrey884

humphrey884

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would recomend a whole system recovery.
Save your files on to discs or if you can't and you want to keep your files just do a system repair.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I read the first few posts and skipped to the end. I had the exact same problem. Actually it was a friends computer. I got the pc home and it wouldn't boot up so I put in a new psu and it booted right up. And it would freeze shortly after booting up. I tried a new hd, cables, cd-rom drive and even put memory from my pc in it. Nothing worked.

I have Ultra-x diagnostics and they kept telling me that the hardware was fine. So my focus centered on the BIOS. I disabled just about everything and made a few other changes. One change involved: psu/memory/????. Anyway, I booted up and the problem was gone. I then enabled things two at a time in the BIOS and the problem never came back. She didn't use the serial port so I never re-enabled it. My thinking was that something may have been sharing an irq or other resource with the video card.

It was the hardest repair I've ever made. I spent 'two weeks' on it.....

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I say rebuilt, I meant I formatted the PC and put XP SP1 on it. Not sure if I will go back to SP2 or not. I haven't had one reboot in the last 4 days. Whatever the problem was, it was software causing the reboots.

TitansFanN_Atl

TitansFanN_Atl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
sorry for the long time since last reply.. I will not be able to offer a fix to the solution seeing as how i had a power outage that flashed on and off fifteen times while I was at work and my wife felt the need to restart the computer after each power outage in order to access the music that WAS stored on my second hard drive and for the time being I am stuck with windows 98 untill i can get the full install of xp. the upgrade disk keeps fouling up on the install.... anyway hope you guys find a fix for the problem soon

ILoveYou

ILoveYou

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hmmm.. Well... I haven't had a solution for this problem either. I'm basically just living with it. I'll send my comp for a fix later but I'm quite sure they'll just tell me there's nothing wrong with it. It could be my temps.. I don't know....