Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window vista won't boot and safe mode won't work

• Please log in to reply

stilldre54

stilldre54

• Pip
  • 3 posts
when turn on the computer acts as if it going to boot up the dell logo comes up then the little green bar flashes across bottom of screen then it goes to a windows error recovery message saying windows has fail to start due hardware changes and it recommends system start-up repair or start windows normally neither works i also tried to start windows in safe mode and it trys to reboot on its own for awhile then the screen goes black

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like the hard drive is corrupted or has died. You need to have the drive checked.

SRX660

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

HD Diagnostics

Gr1ff1n

Gr1ff1n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Try starting your computer using these instructions. This is Just an alternative to the steps which the other members have listed above.

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer starts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
  • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.
  • On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
  • If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally.

Edited by Gr1ff1n, 25 July 2011 - 05:54 PM.

stilldre54

stilldre54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
wiped hard drive clean, i hve been trying to reinstall windows but still having problems, i have a dell xps-410 it has pass the diagnostic tests the computer came with windows xp then dell did an upgrade to windows vista, when i try to reinstall windows vista with the reinstallation dvd it asks for me to install the system drivers when i put the drivers reinstall dvd in it does nothing

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try following these directions, see if it helps: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7