Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High CPU usage and BSOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I went to device manager and was able to update the graphics driver, however, the memory.dmp file is 372MB and isn't the upload limit on the forum only 4MB?

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Lets see if updating the driver helps, only time will tell :)

Ahh yes, my mind wandered on the the minidump file. I forgot Windows Vista and 7 take a different .dmp file than XP. Could you make the following change, so that the dump files are smaller in size, so they can be attached if needed. Once you have made this change, please reboot the PC.

• Click Start
  • Right Click Computer and then click Properties
  • Click Advanced System Settings on the left hand side
  • In Startup and Recovery, click Settings
  • In Write Debugging Information, click the drop down and change it to Small Memory Dump
  • Click OK, then reboot the PC

We'll just wait now and see if the driver update has helped. If there is another blue screen, just go into C:\Windows\Minidump and attach the latest .dmp file for me please.

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Unfortunatley updating the driver didn't work, another blue screen. Here is the dump file. I had to pack it as a zip, when I went to upload it said "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Attached Files

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for getting the dump file attached. Can you get back to me with the following please...

• Have you overclocked or changed the clock speeds of either the CPU or RAM?
  • Have you upgraded your RAM since you've had this PC?
  • What is the make and model of the PC. If it is a custom build, could you get back to me with the Make and Model of the Motherboard please.

Also, you do have the latest version of Java and we cleared the cache earlier, but we'll now reinstall it, just in case it is that, that's causing the issues.

Uninstall Java:
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Java™ 6 Update 26 > Uninstall

Install Java:
Click here, then click "Free Java Download" to get the latest version.

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I don't remember having ever overclocked either the CPU or RAM, I'm not even sure I know how. I haven't updated the RAM and the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C650D - 00D.
Java has now been uninstalled and reinstalled, let's see if that worked *fingers crossed*

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for the info. Yep, just let me know if you get another Blue Screen :)

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Just got another one, I'm thinking there must be a hardware problem.

Attached Files

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts

Just got another one, I'm thinking there must be a hardware problem.

It could well be unfortunately. The dumps have indicated a Java file that could possibly be the problem, however Java has been reinstalled and had it's cache flushed. Just because it is mentioned in the dump, doesn't mean it is Java. Bugcheck 124's are often Hardware related.

The only other things I can think of are driver updates. If you could download CPU-Z from here. Once downloaded, run the program, then click the Mainboard tab, then let me know what are in the Chipset and Southbridge fields please. I'll then get back to you with some driver updates.

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Chipset: AMD A40/A50 Series FCH Rev. 00
Southbridge: AMD A40/A50 Series FCH Rev. 40

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Lets start updating the drivers...

Firstly, download and install the AMD AHCI driver from here

Once this has been installed, download and install the latest Graphics driver from AMD/ATI here

Lets see if these make any difference to the blue screens.

Quick question, is this laptop still in warranty by any chance?

Advertisements

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Updated the drivers, fingers crossed. The laptop is still under warranty but I was hoping to avoid sending it in with school starting up so soon and them generally taking forever.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Yep, just let me know after a bit, whether the drivers have made any difference. It's true, most big companies will have it for a while, but it's better than forking out for a new one or a costly repair. I'm still hoping it's software, but we'll soon see. One way to fully rule out software, is to do a full reinstall, then see if it blue screens after that. Just remember to backup your data if you do want to try that at any time.

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Got another one, same as before. I guess I'll try a full reinstall and see if that works. I'll get back to you and let you know what happens.

Quick question, in CPU-Z, under the CPU tab; under clocks it says core speed ~1600MHz and beneath that it says multiplier x16.0. Does that mean it is overclocked, or is that a normal number.

Edited by thamasta, 17 August 2011 - 08:02 AM.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts

Got another one, same as before. I guess I'll try a full reinstall and see if that works. I'll get back to you and let you know what happens.

:)

Just remember to backup your data like Pictures, Music, Documents, Emails etc to an external drive or DVD's before reinstalling. Once it is reinstalled, it will be like you've just purchased it, so only the preinstalled software will be on there. Other software you've put on yourself previously, will need to be installed again.

Quick question, in CPU-Z, under the CPU tab; under clocks it says core speed ~1600MHz and beneath that it says multiplier x16.0. Does that mean it is overclocked, or is that a normal number.

That's normal, it doesn't mean it's overclocked :unsure:

thamasta

thamasta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Unfortunately after a fresh install I still got a BSOD. I guess I'll be sending it in and see what they say.