Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed: Using 56k PCI Modem for Recording Calls

• Please log in to reply

snake87

snake87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys,

I have an old Dell Dimention 1100 desktop which I use for many small tasks. Its hidden in my livingroom and constantly switched on for automatically picking up emails and printing them out, hosting my printer on the network, hosting a private ftp service, receiving fax calls etc.

Im now experimenting further using the PCI fax modem that is installed, and I basically want to be able to easily record a telephone conversation on the phone line, handy for dealing with companys that try to screw us over. So far it almost works! with one slight problem.

I have Windows XP Home SP3 installed and the modem uses the soundcard to bring the sound through Windows.
I am using RecordPad to record the phone coversation from the modem, and I am using HyperTerminal to connect/disconnect the modem.

So, I open the terminal window in HyperTerminal and set RecordPad to automatically start recording on sound detection. I pickup my house phone and make a call. When I am ready to record I type in ATH1 in the terminal window, the modem connects and RecordPad begins recording. The problem I have is the modem automatically disconnects after a set time period. It seems for not been able to establish a connection with a remote device, and the maximum delay I can set in the modem is 255 seconds.

Is there a way to manually overide the automatic connection procedure, or increase the delay time to something more suitable? I have tried to use Phone Dialer, and Operator Assist but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions would be great!

Attached Thumbnails

• modem.JPG
  • time.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The modem itself isn't designed for this, you should ideally use some specific software to do what you want because the modem's ultimate aim is to try and dial a number. Some third party software should be able to hold the modem open for far longer.

BTW you may like to know that there may be laws in your jurisidiction that covers the recording of telephone calls and with regards to notification of the person you are speaking with that the conversation is being recorded. There may be legal consequences. Just a heads-up.