Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics tablet installation win98se

• Please log in to reply

jjfw42

jjfw42

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have recently acquired a Win98se laptop which I intend to use for digital restoration of vinyl LPs. It runs the various programmes that I used to run on WinXP but which for some reason won't run on Win7(64bit).

I rediscovered an old (two and a half inch by one and a half inch) graphics tablet designed for writing signatures in word processing programmes in Win3.1 which I recall using once or twice with a 3.1 machine many years ago. It would be ideal for retracing sound samples in the restoration process of one of the programmes I use, but I can't install it on the 98se laptop.
It connects via a 9pin plug, and the drivers are on a floppy disc. It predates Win98 so I followed the instructions in the manual for installation onto Win95 but crashed the machine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 9 pin port is probably going to be the Serial Port.

You may probably find the graphics tablet is the victim of being depreciated. If it worked under Windows 3.1 that means it dates from 1992 to 1994. Very little hardware works now from that era on anything newer than 1998. Windows 95 is not the same as Windows 98 SE, because the SE is a different kettle of fish to the original Windows 98 for various technical reasons that I won't bore everybody with. It effectively meant legacy hardware was virtually killed off support wise with the odd exception here and there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You also have another topic on this same system HERE.
If you have resolved to formatting and reinstalling the original OS please let us know and we will continue in the other topic.