Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused and need advice.....

• Please log in to reply

myriamd

myriamd

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
after trying to play the sims 3 on my computer and it never opening to a play screen, I decided to run the system diagnostics on my computer.I was deliberately looking see how well my graphics card was working. It passed everything but the Primary Surface Test.

So, I guess, my first question is how reliable are these diagnostic tests that come with the systems? If reliable, how do I fix the issue with the graphics card?

I called HP and they told me the best bet would be to buy a new graphics card at the tune of $179.89.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so you mentioned it is a HP since you called them. How old is the system and is there any warranty still in effect?
Is the video built on the motherboard or is it a add on card?

I called HP and they told me the best bet would be to buy a new graphics card at the tune of $179.89.

What video card are they suggesting and why? Is the system primarily used for gaming?
Do you know how much memory the video card has and what is the total memory installed in your system?
What OS is installed and is it a 32 or 64 bit version?

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no warranty, computer is 3 years old.
built on card....
running windows 7 and I have the 64 bit running...
6.0 gig ( 5.75 usable)
they said I should upgrade to an Nvidea GT 2200

hope that was the info you asked for.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep info is good.
What make and model is th HP? I can take a look at the specs to see why they suggest a 180 dollar card.
Is the main use of the system game play?

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
my kids use it for school work, my hubby to troll the internet, I use it for internet, games and work,
my daughter uses it for computer art and drawing as well as games

It is model P6310Y
product # AY7AA-AbA

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I found a lot of the card they suggested and most are no where near the price they quoted but much lower.

Take a look at this list HERE
If the list is in price order look at card number 5.
I think it will do what you want and a lot more.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok...that is better. Do I need this though? Is my card fried, or just not able to handle
what we want it to?
Is this easy to install my self? I have done a hard drive upgrade and ram upgrades on my own before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A better card from the specs with lots more independent memory to itself. That in turn frees up the shared memory the onboard was using. I would say the video should be faster, crisper and seeing you also have the ability to go digital with the card then you could utilize the full potential of a lcd monitor using a digital connection.

As far as putting it in I would say with what you have done before this really shouldn't be that hard.
Do you have the owners manual for you system and more specifically the motherboard. It will show the exact slot you need to put the card in to work.
I see no power connection on the card itself but it may be something to check into before purchasing just to make sure if you need a power source from the power supply itself.

myriamd

myriamd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i don't, but i can dl it from the internet.
thank you for all your help!
I really appreciate it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found all the manuals HERE for you.