Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! web page backgrounds don't show

• Please log in to reply

annabell

annabell

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Evening All!, I am after some help with what I believe to be my internet settings...We are running XP and explorer 6 that came loaded on our new computer, and attempting to edit a web page I designed about 2 years ago on Trellix. I have transfered it to the new computer and downloaded it into front page 2000, which I have also loaded as it did not come on the new system.
When I try to view the web page, either in preview on front page, or by going directly to the site, I am unable to view the backgrounds on the page. They show in the actual program. This makes editing the page very tricky as you can imagine!! When the page is viewed from any other computer, all is as it should be, and it all shows up
I also noticed last night that I also cannot view any stationary in our email. I applied stationary and it does not show.
I will be waiting with baited breath for any suggestions, I have been messing with this problem for about a week now, it is driving me MAD.
I have disabled Norton, and tried to view the page, no change. So I don't think it's that. The settings are my last hope :tazz:
Many thanks in advance, Annabell (Australia)

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
What happens when you use Firefox or a different web broswer?

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for responding! I have not tried any other browsers....not really sure how to use them, only have explorer....it has worked fine on the old computer with office 2000, but no more! the operating system on the old one was windows ME.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but it is 0630 in this part of the world now!
I am happy to try the other browsers, just tell me how! This is really frustrating!!!! :tazz:

LazyStudent

LazyStudent

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You can download netscape here:
http://browser.netsc...m/ns8/download/

You can download firefox here:
http://google-downlo...html?tag=google

Install the 2 and try your luck.

carelwen

carelwen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
you can delete old explorer and set up your new explorer.

my friend ever had this problem with his computer.

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I can now view the page with firefox, however I would still like to be able to view it with explorer too.....I also need to know how to configure firefox so that frontpage uses it when I want to preview as I think it is still using IE....an thoughts?

Thanks to all for the advice so far! At least now I feel like getting somewhere and not just banging my head against the wall! :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I don't use FrontPage as it is rather a coder bloater, but see if it has a way to use the default browser by setting the path to the browser in a Settings/Preferences menu. It may be as simple as checking a Check Box to use default browser. If there is a check box for this, make sure you have the correct browser selected as your default browser.

Personally, I would use Firefox. If you're doing web pages, it has some great Web Developer tools that can be added. Aside from being able to View Source code after it checks with HTML Tidy, there are menus that allow you to validate pages either online (URL) or locally, resize window, deal with Forms, Images , CSS, etc. You can even install a Color Picker that resides in the tray in the lower left that, when used, will provide the RGB, HEX and X,Y cooridinates of a page your using. There's more, but FF beats the heck out of IE.

Check this forum for instructions for repairing IE if you insist on using it :

Repair Internet Explorer

The latest verion of Trellix no longer supports pages made with the older version(s).

You said "explorer" and I'm sure you meant Internet Explorer 6.0 as "explorer' is a fixed part of Windows and something else entirely.

Ron

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi again! 15 days on and I have sorted the explorer issue, all is fine with that now... I have created and published my web page for our club in frontpage 2003 but I have huge problems with sizeing the backgounds.
It is at www.dunordskiclub.bigpondhosting.com please have a look and you will see what I mean! Is there a way to have the page re-size automaticaly to fit the browser it is being seen on? Is there a way to set the background in frontpage and not have it tile and show-up on a higher res. screen?
I am going crazy trying to get it to view properly at 800 x 600, when I set the background to that size it tiles and shows at the right of screen!
All opinions greatly appreciated, and any input will be most helpful.....please keep in mind that I know nothing about html, and have used only the fontpage program, so I am a newbie to all of this! :tazz:

fleming

fleming

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
A few suggestions, to kinda help you out.

First when using .html you want to stay away from spaces.
For example:

About Us should be aboutus.htm or about_us.htm or about.htm

Secondly, although its not good for some browsers, you can create a table using FP 2003 and then put your background image into it, so that it doesn't tile on larger screens, this way the page conforms to the table.
If you set the table to be 800x600 then it will stay, if you set the table to be 100% it will stretch.

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for that! will give the table thing a try and let you know how it goes.

With the space issue, what do I need to change? the name that I saved each page under or something else? Probably a dumb question, but as I say I am a newbie, self taught, and learning as I go :tazz:

Advertisements

fleming

fleming

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, i think with FP 2003, you have an option of a find and replace.
Basically you want your links to point to pages that have no spaces. It's is just cleaner.

An example of what happens when you have spaces:

a href="About%20Us.htm" --- see the %20, that is the webs way of saying "space"

it's a picky thing i know, but really, it helps out... my first website i always had spaces, and i used to get all kinds of errors, then i learnt to keep it simple, by shortening the names to things like "aboutus" "portfolio" "contact (instead of contact us.htm)

Just some constructive criticism:

- You will want to refrain from having tiled images in the background, in terms of the snowflakes, unless of course you fade it a bit, so it's not so predominant.
- you don't ever want to use italics or underlined text on a web page, if you need to emphasize something, try using bold instead.

I found this great site for you, hopefully it will be able to help you understand more and how to work in frontpage
http://www.fgcu.edu/...2000/frontpage/

If you need any help with anything else, please do not be afraid to send me a message outside of the forum, although inside the forum will benefit everybody, but the replies could be a long process :tazz:

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again, You don't know how much this is helping, I have been working on the size thing for about a week now, and you have offered the first workable option I have found so far! :tazz:
I am currently working on this table thing, and have another dumb question for you ( don't you just love newbies) I have inserted the table and I think this will solve the whole size issue, however....I can only insert the background as a picture and this won't allow me to add the text I need or the buttons. I have found the insert backgound section of the table options but it is greyed and not available to me! What do I need to change in my settings to make this available?

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
o.k, wipe the last question, I have sorted out that it is all about compatability, I have opted for internet explorer only, and I will see how it goes....I will keep you updated, I will be up late tonight I think! I don't want to stop now that I know how to do it!!

Once again, many thanks for your help fleming, I think I love you!

fleming

fleming

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I understand, once you get going, sometimes you can't stop.

There is alot to learn about compatibility in web design, and to be honest there are "better" alternatives then FrontPage. But if it's available, then it's at least better then nothing.

Once you get any updated pages, let me know, and i will offer more advice and help.

Glad to be able to offer some help.

Fleming

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's me again, I have made most of the modifications that I think I need now, I believe that the remainder I may do will mostly be window dressing...... have another look and let me know how it shows in the browser now, hope it shows a big improvement!

I have renamed the pages as you suggested, at least I think I have done what you suggested, let me know if I have done what is needed.

It looks great in my browser, but then so did the other one! So I am obviously not much of a judge when it comes to these things.......

Once again, your help has been much appreciated, I think you have saved me weeks of pulling my hair out ;) I am off to bed now, I have a killer headache, but I will check for any further advice and your opinions on the web in the morning!

Good night all :tazz: