Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop CD Drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

Calum

Calum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recently, my CD drive in my laptop stopped working. I don't use it a whole lot so I'm not sure how long it's been this way. It will open and close but there is a yellow light instead of the usual blue. I went to Device Manager and it doesn't show up there either. I checked the part where it says to show hidden devices but it's still not there. I've read a number of solutions from various forums and I can't seem to find a solution. I have taken it out and put it back in but I was weary of doing that because I haven't taken a laptop apart before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does it show up in My Computer?

Calum

Calum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It doesn't even show up there either.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Broni's canned speech:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
5. Go to Microsoft's site http://support.micro..._drive_problems and follow the steps.
6. Try the guide at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Calum

Calum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Unfortunately, none of those helped. 1) My cd rom doesn't show up in Device Manager 2) The Microsoft Fixit runs but says "the CD/DVD drive is not detected" 3) I tried but didn't work 4) didn't work 5) I tried that Microsoft Fixit and got the same results as #2 6) The Fixit shows the same results as 2 and 5. Further down the page on solution 6, there is listed the way to modify the registry manually. I've somewhat tried that before. The problem is that it says that the Upperfilters should be located in {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. The problem is that I look and there is no Upperfilter listed. I used ctrl + f to look for upperfilter and I found it located at {4D36E96 (7) -E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. E965 default shows as DVD/CD-Rom drive while E967 shows as Disk Drive. At this point, I stopped because I don't want my computer to become unstable. I don't know if any of the information I am sharing helps at all but I appreciate the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it sounds like the drive itself has failed or is failing and that is why it works sometimes and then suddenly doesn't.
What brand, make and model is your laptop?
I can then find a replacement for you. :)