Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to home network

• Please log in to reply

lizkkk

lizkkk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
We have two laptops and one desktop. The two laptops are wireless.

The desktop today I took back to factory modifications due to issues I had with Windows 7. I used ASUS recovery system. Everything was added back, and everything was working well....

I had internet connection. I added Adobe photoshop programs to the computer, CS2, Cs3, Cs4 and Cs5.

Approximately after adding CS5, I lost access to the internet. I do not know what happened. The wire is still connected to the computer so that's not an easy answer.

What should I do to get access again??

(Windows 7 Home Premium)

Edited by lizkkk, 25 July 2011 - 07:28 PM.

Advertisements

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I turned that sucker on and off 8 times yesterday and it would never connect but this a.m. when the computer warmed up, it was connected.

I wanted to update Microsoft Essentials security and as part of it, the computer needed to be turned off and on.

When I did that..... that internet was disconnected again. I have tried turning it off and on a couple of times now, and no internet.

Physically, the only thing I touched was the on/off button... ?????? (also am just rebooting it to no avail)....

Edited by lizkkk, 26 July 2011 - 06:28 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The proper sequence for getting a connection is to turn off the computer, router and the modem. Then first turn on the modem. Wait one minute then turn on the router. wait another minute and then turn on the computer. After the computer boots up and is ready to go, see if you can connect to the internet.

If you cannot get a connection it may be that adobe interfered with the connection. I would try reloading the original drivers (or updated drivers)from the laptops manufacturer website. You then need to open up your networking and see if you can even see any wireless networks. You can use "windows connect now" to try and setup a new connection to your router.

After that and still no connection you may have to check the router wireless setup. It still seems that it's your laptop that is the problem and it probably is just a driver problem.

Here's a windows website with more details on setting up.

http://answers.micro...5b-f52ec2b1ef7e

SRX660

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I ended up calling and getting a local computer repair service tech to come to the house. He thought he fixed the problem in 5 minutes. I said, turn it off and on..... and the connection to the internet did not hold.

He stayed 2 hours, charged me for one, but the problem was with the router. From some reason, it was not recognize the IP address (I hope I say that right) in the computer. He ended up having to manually assign one to the computer. The problem was solved.

Even though this site did not provide an answer for me (this time), I am glad it is here. Thank you for responding and please consider the issue solved. Liz

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am glad you got it resolved, but note that is still a band-aid fix. I suspect it will hold, but it means dynamic IP assignment is not working correctly.

Since your laptops seem to be working fine but just the PC is having problems, then I would think the network interface in the computer, or it's configuration has some issue. Or maybe, the +5Vsb standby voltage is not keeping the network interface alive when the computer is shut down, so the router assumes it is no longer connected and revokes the IP assignment. That could be a simple BIOS setting in the motherboard, or something else.

Wait and see is about all there is to do now - hopefully with no problems.

Thanks for the followup.