Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer gets stuck randomly

• Please log in to reply

DjRaMiX

DjRaMiX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello guys,
I am a computer technician for the last 4 years,
usually i never have any problems fixing any computer.
but my home computer though is alittle troubling me.

i am running a desktop pc,
windows xp pro sp3 32 Bit
4 GB RAM 800 GHz
Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.80 GHz
2 X 250GB Hard Drives (one for the OS and one just for files)

about 2 weeks ago i the commputer won't boot and the hard drive didnt show any sign of life, so i put another used hard drive on it,
tried reinstalling windows xp pro sp3 32 Bit, and half way through i had problems but finally i was able to run windows. windows was
getting stuck very quickly, just ranodmly having black or blank screens, or just freeze up, sometimes after reboot i would see a windows registry error fix that was comleted "successfully".
i decided to get a new hard drive, so i got a brand new one, and still same problems.

thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello DjRaMiX.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

First
thing that comes to mind is either a bad cable connection to the HD or possibly a bad motherboard controller.
Have you tried bench testing inside the case?
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions