Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

driver problems

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i had to do a fresh install of xp on the unit i built. the motherboard is a asus m2a-vm. i can not get the audio driver to install from the support disk. also a problem with the video controller. when installing the drivers from the support disk it goes into a reboot then it freezes with a message at restart stating that there is a bad or missing command interpreter enter the full shell command line: command.com /P /E:256. not a clue to what this means. but when i remove the support disk from the cdrom and reboot it says it has found new hardware and won't install software from the support disk. any ideas to what may be the problem?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same system we are working on in this topic HERE?
You started this topic 10 minutes before your last response last night. As of then you had not been able to boot with the XP installation disk. Did you finally get that working?

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
yes but i'm having a problem installing the sound driver on the support cd supplied when i bought the motherboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well I'm confused cause your other topic seems like the system is not running yet.
Driver straight from Asus HERE
Select your OS and then you will see a list of all drivers. Choose Audio and then you will see 5 drivers available. The first one is dated 2009.10.10 which is the newest. That should be the correct one you need.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
i had another post that you were helping me with that pertained to the os freezing at starting up screen. i tried to do a repair but it didn't give me that option due to corrupt files etc. so i backed up then decided to see why i could not do a repair. my fingers flinched to many times on the enter key which started a format which then told me i had to reinstall xp. i downloaded chipset for graphics as it has onboard integrated radeon x1250 based graphics as the support disk supplied when i purchased the board said there was no driver found. had no problem the first time i installed graphics driver. so i downloaded the chipset package from asus but i'm not getting the true color setting i had before. as for the sound driver everytime i tried installing the driver from the support disk it would reboot then say there was bad or missing command intereter enter the full shell command line: command.com /P /E:256. this i believe affecting the audio device o high definition audio bus. says not configured correctly in the device manager.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When doing a fresh install the drivers should be installed in the following order.
  • Motherboard Chipset
  • Video
  • Internet
  • Audio

After these have been installed then the very next thing is a AV program before doing anything else. Last you do all the updates from Microsoft.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
when doing the fresh install i was asked to install the support disk and went from there. i believed that to be the amd 690g support dvd. as i mentioned earlier when the system did a reboot after supposedly installing drivers from support disk it frozeup at a black screen that stated a bad or missing command line. so i restarted the computer and removed the support disk which said it found new hardware. i tried again to resolve new hardware issues with the support disk with no success. each time stating that there was no driver to install. one issue was a audio device on high difinition audio bus and the other was for a video controller. in the device manager the audio device on high definition audio bus was not configured correctly. i downloaded the video drivers from asus that resolved the video controller issue but no the audio driver. i downloaded the drivers for the audio from asus where you told me where i could find the drivers and upon installing these drivers for audio it quit saying that the install realtek high definition audio driver failure. error code 0xE0000227. does this make sense?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it does and I think the best option at this point is to delete the audio drivers and then install only the one from the Asus site I linked to and see if that will help resolve this issue. :)

The other option is to format and start all over following the steps for drivers I outlined. I have a feeling that the failed driver installation is what got everything screwy on this.
Try the uninstall of audio drivers first and then reboot. When asked for the driver point it to the driver from Asus.