Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

case fan LED lights wont turn on anymore

• Please log in to reply

convergecult

convergecult

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
okay. i would just like to ask 2 questions: is the voltage variation far from normal?
what's the use of the LED in the CPU if i may ask, is it just for lighting/design?

aside from the surprising restart yesterday when using skype, no problems at all. the restarting didn't happen anymore (hoping it will NOT happen anymore) but the 3 LEDs are still not working though, just the remaining one. the PSU fan is rotating, same with the fan of the AMD and the case fan, temperatures are within the range of yesterday and the CPU is still fast.

thank you very much!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

okay. i would just like to ask 2 questions: is the voltage variation far from normal?

Yes very low actually.
+12 volt has a tolerance level of about 11.25 to 12.15
Yours is at 4.86

+3 volt rail tolerance is about 2.5 to 3.15
Yours is at 2.03

Both way below acceptable levels especially the +12 volt rail since this is the main rail for power.

what's the use of the LED in the CPU if i may ask, is it just for lighting/design?

This one I am a little confused with. Is this actually on the cpu or is it on the case itself?
I reread the first post and it appears these leds are on the case fan which I suspect are either in the front of the case or on the side correct?
If so those are just decorations and in fact can be replaced if they are as I suspect.
I imagine it is something like these HERE

convergecult

convergecult

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
oh crap.

Yes very low actually.
+12 volt has a tolerance level of about 11.25 to 12.15
Yours is at 4.86

+3 volt rail tolerance is about 2.5 to 3.15
Yours is at 2.03

Both way below acceptable levels especially the +12 volt rail since this is the main rail for power.

then i should just be "mellow" in using my computer then?? if i may put it at that.

I reread the first post and it appears these leds are on the case fan which I suspect are either in the front of the case or on the side correct?
If so those are just decorations and in fact can be replaced if they are as I suspect.
I imagine it is something like these HERE

sorry for confusing you. :unsure: you are correct, and the picture 80mm Blue UV Reactive Fan w/ Quad UV LEDs in the site you gave, is identical to my case fan design (same color, same position of the LED lights!) :yes: i'm really relieved that the LED case fan lights are only decorations, i thought they are somehow integral parts. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As you can see they can be replace and in fact you can also find them in different colors if you want something other then blue.
I would suggest at the least to take the system to the shop and have them test the PSU correctly before buying a new one.

convergecult

convergecult

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
okay! :)

at the meantime, what are your suggestions regarding usage of this computer while i'm still stuck with this PSU? cause i still need to save some if i have to buy a new one ^_^

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as it is working OK then I would suggest backing up anything like your data just in case. This includes and documents, music, videos and movies.
If you can get the make and model of the PSU for me I will look for a suitable replacement for you so you know what to get.
The PSU is something you don't want to go cheap with because it can not only go out it can also take out lot's of other components with it.