Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer sluggish and halting

• Please log in to reply

princessss

princessss

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I find this computer extremely sluggish and when you try to do anything that involves java or graphics, or that is messenger based you can only do one thing at a time, you cannot open more then one program without it freezing and crashing. My grandson has been playing several games online which i believe has added to the problem as it gets worse once he has played the games or downloaded games. If I open windows live, I cannot get onto any web pages, it just refuses to go there and gives me the cannot find the server message, but not because internet is not working, because it just won't do both, if I open a web page on its own it goes. Now if I open two programs (not a web page) it gets sluggish, or it will freeze constantly or will freeze and not come back. Every now and then I get a memory dump, and then some times it just blue screens. there is 1 GB stick, which is 4 yrs old, I have cleaned the inside of the computer and the fan, which seems to be running fine, and checked on the battery and that seems to be fine too, although I do not have the equipment to test it. The computer is 4 yrs old purchased from future shop. I did have to format it about 5 months ago with a burned copy of vista using the key on the tower of the computer. I believe also that the on-board graphics card is either failing or problematic. Help would be very much appreciated as at first I thought it was a virus and spent time trying with the help of Geeks to Go to solve the problem, only to find it is not a virus. Thank you very much to the person that tried to help me though, you were very patient and it was very much appreciated. And to the gentlegeek that has been following this from the beginning as well.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
Processor is intel pentium dual cpu E2140@ 1.60 GHz 1.60 GHz
Memory 1 GB
32-bit Operating system

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey there I found you again. OK get ready we are going to be running a lot of diagnostics and logs to find the issue.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"[attachment=51497:Everest.GIF]

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Add at least another 1GB or ram and I think you'll see a significant improvement.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree with Ztrucker on his assessment but I would like to make sure the system is clean tech wise also to take out and chance of corruption with OS, drivers, hardware or programs.

If you would like to check on the upgrade for the memory Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.