Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS Start and then nothing

• Please log in to reply

Derekm459

Derekm459

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Need Help... New built PC, up and running fine for past 4 months.

I have tried the advice given so far and switched out PSU and the same thing happens. I unplugged everything leaving only the main ATX cable into the MOBO connected and same thing. for the 4-5 secs in runs i have a lights showing on the MOBO, Graphics card and both CD Roms... then poof ... everything off, however the green LED on th MOBO is still lit up. Any thought nos on whether it is the MOBO, Proccessor, or RAM? There are no beeps coming from motherboard to troubleshoot.

PC System:
XP Pro
P4 550 3.4ghz 1mb cache 800fsb
WD 250gb HD SADA
Power Color Radeon X600 PRO 256mb GRAPHICS
Intel Socket 775 MB
1024mb MB DDR 400mhz
Freezer 7 PCU Cooling Fan
DVD-RW Drive (Sony)
CDRW Drive (Plextor)

Any input is greatly APPRECIATED...

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Does the fan on the power supply continue to spin or does it stop after the 4-5 seconds?

Derekm459

Derekm459

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Everything completely stops including all fans and the only light that continues to stay on after the fans stop is the GREEN LED light on the MOBO...

Thanks for looking into this

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I could be wrong but I would think that if the fan on the power supply is not turning that the power supply is in need of replacement. But you said you already put in a new power supply....

How many watts? What brand power supply and/or how much did you pay for it?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'd check to make sure the supply is set to 115v. Here's a link to diagnosing power supply problems:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

Derekm459

Derekm459

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I hooked up a new PSU which was 500 watt unit and brand new. It was set on the 115v. And imediatley did the same thing as the other PSU had done, so I was leaning toward something else being wrong. I am now trying to find out what the next most logical thing that it might be. I dont want to have to end up replacing everything, if it is a possibility that it is the MOBO then I hope to just replace that. The PC worked great for the past 4 months and BAM... now this... Who knows... if anyone has ever dealt with a problem like this please let me know. I guess I would like input on if the MOBO is bad would the Graphic card, DVDrw, CDRW and fans still power up for the 5 secs. Would a bad MOBO mean nothing would work at all?