Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Security 2012 on Dell Mini 910

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi Moonpie!

Let me have you do the following and see if it fixes the issue you are experiencing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Advertisements

Moonpie

Moonpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ST,

Wow - your are spot on!

I went through the manual steps and ran into a few snags (1> it told me one service could not stop because it did not exist, but that was the reason I was doing this in the first place! 2> a few .dll files were missing). However, when I started everything back up it all seemed to work!

So I put it to the test and went to the MS Update website and it all worked - it told me what updates I needed and it installed & downloaded them with no problem.

Now when I open Security Center, everything looks like it should.

I don't see any other issues happening with the computer. I intend to do a few minor tweaks and to set up a User account and password protect this Administrator account (and THE "Administrator" account) before it goes back to the kids.

Thanks SO much for your help (and your grace and your patience).

God bless!
-Moonpie

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
No problem! I'm glad to hear that the solution I linked you to worked.

If you are experiencing no other issues, can we go ahead and mark this thread as resolved, and close it up?

Moonpie

Moonpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ST,

I apologize again for the delay. An electrical storm took out my internet at home over a week ago (finally got it back but haven't yet replaced the wireless router, so only my desktop is connected at the moment), and I haven't really had time at work to respond.

As far as I can tell there are no more issues, so, yes, this can be marked closed.

Am I supposed to mark it CLOSED or RESOLVED or anything like that (I searched and couldn't find anything directing me to do that), or do you close it?

Also, how do I give you rep points? I see the button to click to 'Like' a specific post, but is there a way to give you overall rep as a user/member and not just one of your posts?

Thanks again for everything!
-Moonpie

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi Moonpie!

No worries on the delay.

Am I supposed to mark it CLOSED or RESOLVED or anything like that (I searched and couldn't find anything directing me to do that), or do you close it?

This is something that is done on my end, I'll close it.

Also, how do I give you rep points? I see the button to click to 'Like' a specific post, but is there a way to give you overall rep as a user/member and not just one of your posts?

Some users will post in the helpers profile, and others will post in the GeekstoGo Feedback forum.

You're more than welcome! I'm glad I was able to be of assistance to you!

Kindest Regards,
ST.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.