Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New Rig, Advice Needed, Please.

• Please log in to reply

Rhem

Rhem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello fellow geeks :),

This is my first post on these forums, so please excuse any fopauxs.
I recently lost my gfx card and I have a fairly old (4 years) machine. I'm keeping some parts of the old rig to place into my new one, but I would very much like some guidance in doing so.

If you would be so kind as to bare with me, while I list a fair amount of components as I would like expert opinions about it.

I would like to order all these items from ebuyer.com as I have used them several times in the past and have never let me down. (Unless someone has a better website?)

- MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozen

- Corsair Cooling Air Series A70
(Reluctant about water cooling, as I don't trust myself installing it, or the long term effects :S)

- Intel Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz

- Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 MotherBoard

- Case + PSU (Bundle :unsure:)

- Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3

- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

- Sony Optiarc DVD/RW

I still have my old Screen, LG L207WT 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Sorry, don't have a link)

My final question being, how compatible these components are with one another, on a long term basis and for power. I have built a Rig in the past, but I feel it is necessary to get expert opinions on hardware, as I don't fully keep up with hardware release, etc.

Please could you list (if it is not too much to ask) the Pros and Cons and how I can improve said parts or "demote" some, to get a better reliable performance. Or list MAJOR flaws, please :yes:.

(The budget for this rig "should" be below £900, but if I go over £50 or so, it should be fine).

Thank you kindly in advance.
-Rhem

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Rhem :)
A better CPU http://www.ebuyer.co...-bx80623i52500k
Unless you plan on over/clocking you do not need - Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 as the HS and fan supplied with the CPU are tested and proved to be capable of the task also are you aware that if you do not use the HS and fan supplied you invalidate any warranty that Intel offer see the text below from the Intel warranty;

• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical
power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance
with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper
testing; OR

I also noticed that the GFX card is out of stock and that you have not included any TIM such as Arctic Silver5, below are a couple of links to assist you;
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively
http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ courtesy of Digerati