Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I remove a password from the BIOS?

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Computers were changing hands in this apartment. I chose a notebook PC over a Mac because I don't know Macs. The former owner of the Fujitsu C1410 laptop is physically disabled, and he got the computer from an organization that serves the disabled. When I received the computer, it wasn't in the best of shape. I fixed what I could but now there seems to be a virus on the system on top of everything else so I decided to reinstall the OS. But when I tried, there was a password denying me access to the BIOS! I suspect it's been put there by this organization to protect the system from changes but the people that set up the computer actually don't seem to have a clue as to what the needs of this person actually are.

Anyway, that's another story! :unsure: What has to happen now is the OS needs to be reinstalled. (And even if I didn't need to wipe the OS now, I want to be able to do it in the future if I needed to! I want full access to the BIOS!)

I tried to contact Fujitsu America support by email but it's been quite a while now and there email isn't working properly. Messages aren't getting through. (They said it's because of the catastrophe in Japan.)

I did get SOME info from them. They told me I had to send the computer in so they could take the password off the BIOS. But why would I send the computer in so they could take the battery out for 30 minutes to erase the BIOS settings? (I haven't tried to call them on the phone because I'm visually impaired and can't handle the "on the fly" exchange of information that happens on the phone, [including pressing keys on the phone to access different departments]).

What I need is a clear tutorial on how to take the battery out so I can reset the BIOS to factory settings. I can't find anything like that in the user manual for this computer online. I found no service manual! I'm not sending my computer in to a company that can't fix their own email. Who knows what else doesn't work in their company! :yes:

If the battery isn't soldered in, I'm pretty sure I can take it out. But I don't even know how to open the computer case! I never had a laptop before! I see no mention of how to do this anywhere. (Maybe that's because of my crummy eyesight?) :)

Can anybody point me toward a clear, (hopefully a video) tutorial(for a Fujitsu C1410 notebook computer, [or similar model]), that can guide me through this?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
For laptops it is not like a desktop (take the battery out) what they told you is right, only a qualified person can on a laptop reset a bios password, it is built like that to protect the laptop if stolen from people going in the bios. Unless you know a qualified technician your only solution is to send it to them like they said.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would also like to add BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Actually, you're right... and I'm glad you won't help. There's no way you can tell if I'm telling the truth or if I'm just a bad-guy!!! I'm embarrassed. I'll find some other way of dealing with this. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest following Alzeimer's and Fujitsu America suggestions and letting them correct it legally. This way you guaranteed no problems. Any other way could result in the system becoming unusable in the end. Good luck and thank you for understanding.