Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to get drivers to work?

• Please log in to reply

angiexbaybi09

angiexbaybi09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I bought my computer with windows 7 already installed. Of course i lost the disc. I got a virus so bad apparently per my friend it scrambled my hardrive. He manually went in and had to erase everything but he didnt have a windows 7 disc only xp. So now my computer has windows xp but none of the sound drivers work. I tried to repair reinstall through windows like they say but nothing. what can i do?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a name brand system and if so what is the brand, make and model?
If it is a name brand it may have a recovery partition already on it unless your friend blew away the partition. If so then your only options are to either borrow a Win7 of the same version that was installed. There should be a sticker somewhere on the system with the original version and reg key on it.
The other option would be to contact the manufacturer of the system if it is a name brand and purchase a set of original recovery disks which would be about 30 USD or less.
This would include the original OS, Drivers and all programs installed when it was brand new.

angiexbaybi09

angiexbaybi09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i bought my gateway computer from bestbuy.. if that helps. and i dont have a back up partition everything was destroyed. and my registery key code on the bottom of my computer is worn completely so i cant order a back up disc because i cant give them the code due to it being unreadable. ugh.

angiexbaybi09

angiexbaybi09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
do you think if someone has a xp cd i could reinstall xp and all the drivers would work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Re-installation of Win7 yes but you have no reg key. Now you might be able to call Microsoft and explain the issue to them and they may give you a new reg key since you had a legal license with them once you activated and registered with them when you first bought the system.
Using XP on a system that was originally designed around Win7 is trouble since most of the drivers probably will not work and\or not available for XP anyway.
Now if the reg key is unusable you could simply borrow a Win7 of the same version you had and install it and then call Microsoft.
The only other option is to purchase a Win7 with a reg key and install it. Then we would have to get all the drivers from Gateway's driver page for your system.
Can you get me the make and model of the Gateway and I can try to find all the drivers for you.
Again I doubt the system will have XP drivers and since your friend installed XP I'm not sure if it is even a legal installation at this point since I have no ideal if it is his XP and if it is installed on another system then it is illegal to be on your system at the same time.
Here is a Win7 OEM at TigerDirect that you can get which is about the going price.