Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data restore/recovery programs

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Greetings everyone!

I would like to purchase some programs, which are capable of retrieving and restoring my lost data after permament deletion or formatting. You know...about a week ago, my computer crashed big-time, I could not restart Windows, not even wit' safe mode, so I had no choice but completely re-format the partition. I managed to save the majority of my data, however,some files were lost. I want to make sure that this never EVER happens again.

So here are the most important aspects of the wanted programs:

- Should be operative under Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 as well.
- Must be able to restore lost data after deletion or hard disk formatting.

I'm not sure, but if you delete the whole partition, can these programs restore the data after? (Partition is deleted through Windows boot CD during install). Price is not a problem for me...I would like to have as many recovery programs as possible. I would also like to hear your opinion about them.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
There are PhotoRec and TestDisk:
http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/PhotoRec

However, backing up is a better way to do things. If price is not a problem, buy a 1TB drive, then back everything up regularly. There are many good free backup progs, you can find them with Google.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Reactor

I think TestDisk is a command line recovery utility so I have provided some other links for you.

PC Inspector File Recovery
PC Inspector Smart Recovery - Mainly in my opinion to be used with Photos and other documents
Power Data Recovery
Runtime Software - GetDataBack is $69 - $79 depending which you need (FAT 32 or NTFS)

Or if you have loads of money spare then there is Data Rescue Universal Unlimited which is currently £245.51

I would try the free products first though.

Regards

invisigoth

invisigoth

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
easus is a very good data recovery software my kid dropped my portable hardrive kept saying it was corrupt and it restored all the stuff on it