Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

booting halts after HDD detected, same when HDD swapped for known good

• Please log in to reply

Chris A.

Chris A.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I switch on my PC it goes through the usual checks until it detects the hard disks. It reports the correct manufacturer and part number of the primary master boot disk (all the others are correctly reported "none").

Then nothing else happens. No HDD activity. Nothing more reported on the screen.

I removed the hard disk and replaced it with a known working one from another computer and the same happens. BIOS reports the correct manufacturer and part number of this disk too, but boot fails at the same point.

So I assume its not a faulty HDD problem.

Both those hard disks have Win XP installed on them.

Could anybody give me some practical advice please?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Did it ever work?

Chris A.

Chris A.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying Digerati.

Yes it was working properly and used often until recently. Then one day it wouldnt boot up.

Its actually my friends PC, I will ask her today did anything strange happen just before went wrong.

More info. The files on the non-booting HDD are readable when I connect it into my other computer as secondary.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The files on the non-booting HDD are readable when I connect it into my other computer as secondary.

Then I would suggest copying off any files your friend does not want to lose.

The fact the same problems occurs with two different drives (assuming the second was formatted too) then that suggests something is wrong with the controller, part of the motherboard. The only other common factor would be the cable - and they can be damaged so that would be worth a check.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If I can butt in, you say you are able to get into the BIOS before it hangs, have you tried all possible combinations (defaults, fail-safe) and check all your BIOS options that might make the BIOS hangs.

Some built in features might be causing that and even if before it was not affecting it maybe now it has started for who knows why, try disabling any extra options in the BIOS not really necessary and try to boot, if you can you can add them back one by one until it hangs again to know which is causing it.

Also if you unplug all your drives (HDD & CD/DVD) to see if it goes pass where it usually hangs and shows you the usual messages when no boot OS is found.

Chris A.

Chris A.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The files on the non-booting HDD are readable when I connect it into my other computer as secondary.

Then I would suggest copying off any files your friend does not want to lose.

The fact the same problems occurs with two different drives (assuming the second was formatted too) then that suggests something is wrong with the controller, part of the motherboard. The only other common factor would be the cable - and they can be damaged so that would be worth a check.

Thank you
It does sound like its a problem on the motherboard I agree. I cant see anything I can replace on the motherboard by unplugging and replacing (except CPU). Does that mean I need to get a whole new motherboard?

I will try swapping the cable first, didnt think of that.

Chris A.

Chris A.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for comment - merci.

I will try changing the BIOS too a good idea.

I already disconnected CDROM and there is no other drives installed.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If resetting the BIOS (I would just replace the battery since they are only a couple dollars so no big loss if not the problem) does not help, then your options are limited.

That said, SATA support has been included on motherboards for many years, even though XP does not natively support it. If that motherboard supports SATA as well as EIDE, then you may be able to change interfaces, and avoid having to replace the motherboard. It would still be a hassle as it would be necessary to reinstall XP, with necessary SATA drivers.

We would need specifics for the hardware to make any determination.