Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Parts for new computer

• Please log in to reply

addy_010

addy_010

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Not Needed anymore...

Edited by addy_010, 02 June 2005 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You need to SLOW down ;)

If you going to spend that much cash...you need to sit back and think alittle more about what your "purchasing" :tazz:

I hope you plan to upgrade from Windows 98 ;)

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
sos, its just i had a little bit of what i wanted at first, then i researched and added more, and then did more research and added even more and so on until now its got alot of questions.

I was kinda hoping that people were just going to answer what they could, even if its not much every little helps.

Im starting from scratch with this computer so obviously im not keeping windows98, sos if that wasn't clear. Im hoping to spend £1500 ish.

off topic but how long does it take people to rouglhy reply here. im not complaining its just ive been on other games, mobile forums etc and i get tones of replies within minutes, and it would be nice to know how long i got to wait. remember im not complaining i just want to know so that im not returning every 10 minutes. thanks again

Edited by addy_010, 01 June 2005 - 02:48 AM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
The hardware you listed will cost you ALOT more then 1500

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

View Post

well im hoping to get some off ebay, such as the processor, RAM, and motherboard, and maybe the graphics card seing as you have said that ledtek make good grpahics cards in another post. anyway back to the questions, what you think?

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

View Post

just incase you dont know, when i say 1500 i mean £ not $. OK!!!

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
It would be a great rig no-doubt

goodluck :tazz:

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

It would be a great rig no-doubt

goodluck :tazz:

View Post

...... anyway thanks for all the help. it helped me lots.

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ONECOOL, i am looking right now and it seems like i can do it for £1500 ish give or take.

im thinking of getting the motherboard and RAM from zipzoomfly.com, which should cost me roughly £260 plus whatever the tax and postage to UK is.

im thinking of getting the processor (AMD athlon fx55) from ebay which im hoping is about £400 totalling £700 so far.

Now i want 2x Leadtek 6800 256MB PCI-E SLI DVI, but im hoping £400> for both, http://www.novatech....e.html?LEA-6800, check out that site, if i buy 2 would they work together with each other and all the other parts?

and then the hard drive being 2 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10 000 RPM 8MB SATA-150 costing £200

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, costing around £50, i havent looked too deeply into this one but thats the rough price i am seing so i might go for a better one, maybe

ive already got a floppy drive which i think would work, right?, and a network card, temporary keyboard, mouse and screen.

Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW = £20

This is going off from what someone else is getting, i have no idea what i would need yet, Enermax 485W NoiseTaker Power Supply ATX 12V 2.0 = £50

http://www.sharkacom...ktwakitwcp.html, is this all i would require for liquig cooling, that does everything meaning i dont need fans for anything else?

leaving me pretty much nothing to get a case [bleep], have i missed anything?, is it all compatiable.

quick questions seing as no one is answering any of my others, if a motherboard says it excepts DDR ram does that mean it will also except DDR2 ram.

i freaking forgot the OS. I heard at one point that windows was giving out free WindowsXP HE to those who have the illegal ones to stop many viruses etc. Are they sitll doing this. If so could i not just get an illegal copy and then get the real 1 for free. Same with all the other crap such as MSwords. Does the Ms windows xp media 2005 come with all that i need to run a computer and also have MSword

Edited by addy_010, 01 June 2005 - 05:59 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

quick questions seing as no one is answering any of my others, if a motherboard says it excepts DDR ram does that mean it will also except DDR2 ram.

nope AMD doesnt support DDR2 (yet)

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You get what you pay for, my computer cost over $2200 just the pc itself...

addy_010

addy_010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
gosh you guys are fools, what does your computer have jrm20, like i have said i am allowing 1500 in £ not $. What you say you spent on the computer only comes to £1200 leaving £300 more to get even better things.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Calling people fools isnt going to get you any help thats for sure ;)

I only buy from Newegg,Monarch and ZipZoomFly unless its keyboard,mice etc...

I would never trust e-bay when buying anything PC related....but thats just me...what can I say I like my warranty :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have:

Intel pentium 4 3.0e @ 3.4 ghz cpu
Dfi lanparty pro 875B Rev.B motherboard
Evga 6800 gt oc @ 410/1.12
Corsair xms memory 1.5 GB - costs alot
creative sound blaster audigy2 zs platinum
zalman 120 mm cpu fan (CNPS7700-cu)
thermaltake 420watt true power supply
2 exhaust case fans - lighted
2 inlet case fans - lighted
blue neon light with a windowed case
translucent neon orange round cabling
western digital 74 gb 10,000 rpm harddrive
toshiba dvd burner/cd burner
case badges

Logitech z-5500 505 watts speakers with 10" subwoofer

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dfi is better than Msi boards, latency means the lower the better for gaming purposes. Gaming/overclocking memory has low latency which its good to have. The lower the latency the more you can overclock the memory. It just runs better.