Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Log on, Log Off.. Help!

• Please log in to reply

AnfieldDreamin

AnfieldDreamin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help as this is driving me nuts.

Not great with computers but I can usually solve most problems with a bit of trial and error and the help of Google searches but this one has me stumped!

Using Window 7 64 bit Premium Edition SP1. Up until recently I have been the only one using the computer so only one login as an administrator, no password set so when I boot up it just goes straight to the desktop.

I needed to set up another couple of logons, simple I thought...

I set 2 new users as standard user accounts but whenever I try to log on to these new accounts, it shows the logging on message, then IMMEDIATELY the logging off message!!! And goes back to the screen where you choose which account you want.

Tried changing the accounts to different configurations, Admin, standard user, deleting accounts, setting new ones up, always the same, log on, log straight back off.

My original admin user account is not effected (thank god)?!

Tried it in safe mode with exactly the same result.

Full Virus Scan found nothing and Full scans with Malewarebytes and Super Anti Spyware, also found nothing.....

Any suggestions pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to damage my calm... :)

Edited by AnfieldDreamin, 30 July 2011 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Shrmur,

You have already been warned about giving any malware removal advice. I think it's highly unlikely that you have determined the cause of the issue, and even if you had you are not permitted to provide this type of advice. Please follow the rules that you agreed to when you joined this forum.

AnfieldDreamin', please don't follow Shrmur's advice. Please wait until someone else replies - I'll see if I can get one of our techs to take a look. :)

AnfieldDreamin

AnfieldDreamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay thanks.

To be honest seen a lot of similar-ish problems to this for XP, but they always seem to be someone unable to logon at all and always XP, nothing for Windows 7!! Bit nervous of following a guide related to XP as I don't know enough about computers to dig myself out of the whole I'd probably get myself into :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi AnfieldDreamin.

The first thing I would do is run System File Checker as follows:

Click on Start, type command prompt.
Right click on Command Prompt at the top of the window and select Run as Administrator.
In the Command Prompt Window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Wait for it to complete. See if it reports any errors.

Post back with results.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi AnfieldDreamin.

The first thing I would do is run System File Checker as follows:

For Vista and Windows 7 only:
  • Click on Start, type command prompt.
  • Right click on Command Prompt at the top of the window and select Run as Administrator.
For XP only:
  • Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories.
  • Click on Command Prompt
For XP, Vista and Windows 7:
  • In the Command Prompt Window, type (or copy and paste) sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Vista and Windows 7 tell you if there were and problems, XP does not. You can examine the SFC results as follows:

Open a Command Prompt (does not have to be as Administrator):
  • Type (or copy and paste) findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.
  • Type (or copy and paste) notepad sfcdetails.txt and press Enter.