Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is this build good?

• Please log in to reply

bfbc3

bfbc3

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I found this pre-built desktop on newegg for 479.99. The only problem is once i buy it i will be upgrading the gpu and also the psu because the current one won't be able to handle the new gpu.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz

Memory 4GB DDR3 1333

Hard Drive 500GB SATA

Optical Drive 1 22X DVD Burner

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Power Supply 350W

GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Memory Capacity 4GB DDR3

Memory Speed DDR3 1333

Form Factor DIMM 240-pin

Memory Spec 2GB x 2

Memory Slot (Total) 2

Maximum Memory Supported 8GB Hard Drive

PCI Slots (Available/Total) 1 x PCI-E 16x SLOT

1 x PCI-E 1x SLOT

2 x PCI slots

Edited by bfbc3, 30 July 2011 - 11:00 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That's the problem with pre-builts - they never quite meet the buyer's needs. But to that, you failed to state what this computer will be used for, so we have no clue if this is a good build, for you.

bfbc3

bfbc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was hoping it would be for gaming, if not what i can do to upgrade it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
With the understanding the best gaming machines can cost $2,000 and much more, it seems you already identified the weaknesses - the graphics solution, and consequently the PSU. Why don't you pick out the card and PSU you would get, add those costs to the $480, and buy or build a better system within that budget.

My recommended "preferred" RAM amount is 6Gb for triple channel architecture motherboards, and 8Gb for dual channel. Note that those both require a 64-bit OS, hopefully Windows 7, and I don't see an OS listed above.

Also not listed is the keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers or case.