Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New gaming build

• Please log in to reply

bfbc3

bfbc3

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok i've realized that there were some weakness the pre-built computer i posted about, so i've decided to build one on my own as someone suggested to me. Here it is:

phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (119.99)

psu-Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply (58.99 after rebate)

ramm-Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (78.99)

motherboard-Gigabyte AMD 990X(139.99)

hard drive-Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk(72.99)

case-Cooler Master HAF 912(54.99)

dvd rom-Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata (27.99)

gpu-Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1 GB DDR5 (159.99 after rebate)

op-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (94.99)

I was thinking of bringing down the ram to 4gb and the hard drive memory to 1tb what do you think about all this?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would keep the RAM if your budget will allow. While 4Gb will serve your needs, 64-bit Windows 7 excels when it has lots of room to play in.

In theory, you can always add more RAM later - and with 4 slots, you won't have to toss any out. But in practice, makers are constantly retiring and creating new models. Also in theory, exact brand and model are not required, but it typically is preferred. Matching old with new a year or two down the road can sometimes, be a problem. Buying all at once in the beginning eliminates that worry.

I happen to like Gigabyte boards and Corsair PSUs. :)

1T is still a HUGE amount of disk space. If you will not be using it to store 1000s of songs, or a bunch of movies, 1Tb will hold Windows, a full security suite, Office, and dozens of your favorite games and still barely make in dent in your available space. And adding a second HD is about the most simple hardware task you can get.

bfbc3

bfbc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestions!