Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

Intercept

Intercept

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop has been randomly freezing for the past few days. Sometimes, it'll freeze for a few minutes and then it'll stop freezing. Other times, it'll freeze until I decide to shut down by turning off my laptop. When it freezes, I can't move my mouse. The task manager won't open if I press ctrl+atl+del. My laptop will remain frozen.

If I turn my laptop on a few seconds after I shut it down due to the freeze, my laptop will flash a company logo and then it'll turn off again. And then a few seconds later, it'll turn on again and flash the company logo. It just keeps doing that until I decide to turn it off.

Prior to the freezing problem, if I was using my laptop, the screen would get colourful lines and I wouldn't be able to do anything. This happened maybe once in one or two days for about a week before.

About a month ago, I took my laptop apart and cleaned the fan so I don't think that there's an overheating problem (although I wouldn't know).

If it helps, I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 and I'm using Windows Vista.

I'm not sure if this is in the right section (because I don't really know what the cause of my problem is). Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Intercept, 31 July 2011 - 12:43 AM.

Advertisements

brosky

brosky

• Pip
  • 6 posts
just ignore this post =[

Edited by brosky, 31 July 2011 - 03:19 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Intercept :)
As a precaution I suggest you back up all important data that you have on the HDD.

Prior to the freezing problem, if I was using my laptop, the screen would get colourful lines and I wouldn't be able to do anything.

This may suggest a bad video chip, a well documented flaw in the manufacturers process causes the video chip to overheat to such an extent that is causes the soldering to brake down and the only way to resolve this is a process called "Reflowing" HP acknowledged this and recalled and repaired the offending laptops, some info for you including a repair video available @ http://www.avforums....n-problems.html
One other thing worth doing is, remove the battery and power lead, hold down the power on button for around 30 seconds to discharge any static that may have built up in the system, take anti static precautions by grounding yourself then carefully remove the Ram stick/s and blow out the slots, reseat the Ram securely, reconnect the battery or power lead and see how it goes and let us know how it works out, if no joy we can test your Ram next.

Intercept

Intercept

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for responding. :)

I looked at the video, but I don't imagine I'd be able to access a torch anytime soon. Would there be any other way to reflow?

I tried discharging the static, but my laptop is still freezing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I looked at the video, but I don't imagine I'd be able to access a torch anytime soon. Would there be any other way to reflow?

Testing the Ram should be done before undertaking anything else, especially a tricky task such as reflowing "how to" below using Vistas own memory test tool;
http://windows.micro...-memory-problem
Did you try blowing out the Ram slots and then reseating the Ram and how many sticks of Ram are fitted?
If the laptop freezes whilst you are testing the Ram and you have more than one stick of Ram try testing one stick at a time starting with slot one, allow a minimum of 5-6 passes of the test to complete for each stick, let us know how the testing goes.

Intercept

Intercept

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Was I supposed to test each slot individually? I just tested it with my mouse in a USB slot. I have 4 USB slots. No errors were detected.

I haven't reseated the RAM yet (I don't know where it's located).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Slight confusion here, you only need to test the Ram slots as it is possible that the Ram modules are ok but one of the slots is bad, quite often dust in a Ram slot can cause system freezing due to overheating.
See pages 128/129 and 130 for your laptop details http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01311536.pdf and a guide to using memtest @ http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/