Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed Routers and don't understand what happened

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have DSL using a Gigabyte 567 modem. It is also supposed to be a wireless router, but it stops working all the time when I try to use it. Rather than complaining about it to my ISP, I simply ran a Cisco WRT54G2 router I already had to it, and all was well. I put my computer on the Gigabyte, figuring it didn't make sense to unnecessarily go though an extra box.

Yesterday I "upgraded" to a Cisco E2000 from the WRT. It gives a little stronger signal, so maybe it is an upgrade. But I cannot configure the Cisco unless my computer is plugged into it (rather than into the Gigabyte). The old WRT didn't care. Not a big deal. Well, today I found out my son's computer can't connect unless my computer is connected to the E2000; while my wife's computer can. Furthermore, my son's computer can't find the network unless I broadcast the SSID, while it could with the WRT.

So,
1) Does any of this make sense? The E2000 is working differently than the WRT, and my son's computer is different than my wife's on the E2000.
2) Does it matter if I broadcast the SSID? It is a residential neighborhood, and my neighbors aren't likely to be hackers.
3) Does it matter to my computer if it is connected to the E2000 or directly to the Gigabyte?

For the small increase in signal strength, I wish I had just stayed with the WRT; but it's too late for that now.

Edited by Tollerowner, 31 July 2011 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements