Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe someone can help me. I'm running WinXP.
Every so often. my computer sems to freeze for a few seconds, maybe 25, maybe a few more or less. Then, it starts up again. This happens often, often only a minute or two between feeezes. At first, I thought it was the mouse and reinstalled the mouse but then I realized that it was happening in the middle of an action I was doing, such as moving a file from one folder to another. I did all my check-ups...Malwarebytes, RegCure, Registry Mechanic, etc. Then I reinstalled Windows. All that did was give me a lot of extra work, such as d/l 82 updates and installing them.
It doesn't affect anything I do other than the fact that I have to stop every so often to get caught up. As I'm typing this, the machine has frozen 3 times. Happens both on-line and off-line. That doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas? Mary

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did this happen immediately after you did the reinstall or after you have done the updates and installed any software you use?

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This was happening before I did the reinstall. That was the reason for the reinstall. I had done everything I knew about before I did the reinstall and when it still did the freeze thing, I tried the reinstall. That dids not help. I am having more problems daily. though. I don't know if there is a connection or not. Don`t know if the new problems, which are having trouble with start ups and shutdowns, are connected or not but I`m trying to fix one thing at a time. Maybe by fixing one, the rest may get fixed, too.
I googled freeze-up and someone suggested it was a driver problem but I don`t know how to check the drivers. I`m looking into that now but not having much luck. Someone else suggested it was a memory problem, that every time it froze and unfroze, it was trying to load something into ram. I`ve gone to msconfig and have nothing except the anti-virus loaded at startup. Thats where we are now. Mary aka Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I haven`t done any new installs that might cause this problem......Mary

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've just tried something else. I added a "new user" and went into this account and have not had a freeze yet. That should be telling me something about my original account butI don't know what yet.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If that continues to be true then there is some corruption in your user account. I know of no way to figure out what it is. You can, however, keep the new account and copy the data from your old to the new. This preserves the data but does not copy the corruption.

See here: Fix a corrupted user profile.

And here: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I guess I lied. It still freezes.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, but my question before was did the freeze happen after you reinstalled but before you starting adding programs? I know it's probably hard to tell as the computer is not much use without the programs you normally use.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry about the misunderstanding that I had about what I had installed. But, I ran the program that you suggested and found several errors. I decided I would uninstall everything that I had installed for whatever reason I'd got it in the first place and then run the program again. So I removed 7 programs, including a reader and an uninstaler and some others. Then I cleaned the registry with regCure. I don't know what the culprit was but I haven't had a freeze since. Even the start-up and shutdown has performed perfectly. I may or may not put some of them back on, one at a time, we'll see. Thank you for all the help you gave me and the suggestions you made. Wish me luck. Mary

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad you have it working. Thanks for letting me know.

Granny Gizz

Granny Gizz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi...this morning its right back in freeze mode. It worked just like it should all last evening, turning off and turning on the way it was supposed to but now its back to "bad". I think I will take it to a repair person and just get it over with. I don't understand how it could act so perfectly all evening and after its had a night's rest go back. Doesn't make sense. But thanks again for your help. I don't give up easily, but I'm done trying with this stupid thing. Mary

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Thanks for the info Mary. Please let me know what the PC repair folks find.