Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless: Can't find any connections

• Please log in to reply

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
My friend recently bought a new router as his old one wasn't powerful enough. He could get on the internet but after a minute the laptop would freeze. It would only freeze if he allowed his adapter to connect to the internet.

It's defiantly a problem with the wireless adapter. This is what I've done so far:

I uninstalled the wireless adapter. Windows reinstalled the wireless adapter after I restarted the laptop. After I did this, the wireless adapter cannot find a connection. It can't find my router or my friends router any more. Using windows 7 trouble shooting. It says there might be a problem with the wireless network adapter driver. Which is strange considering Windows keeps installing the same driver.

I found an updated driver for the Atheros AR5007EG Wireless network adapter but Windows wont allow the update as it's already installed the best version for my adapter.

When I enter my serial number on the Fujitsu AMILO Notebook Li 3710. On the Fujitsu website. The driver supplied is for a Realtek RTL8187B wireless card. Is windows 7 installing the wrong wireless adapter driver?

I wanted to test this but Windows keeps installing the driver automatically. As the laptop is using Windows 7 Home Premium I can't access gpedit.msc. I tried a 3rd party program. Which did launch gpedit.msc but the sub-folder "Device Installation" is not there. So I can't test different drivers!

I'm a very experienced computer user but can't seem to find the solution for this problem! Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: The wireless radio button on the keyboard is turned on!

Edited by MikeMason, 31 July 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I have now fixed this problem myself.