Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTDLR is missing

• Please log in to reply

orion_v

orion_v

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been battling a worm virus these past few days and in the process of deleting some files with killbox I think I may have messed a few things up. When I start my computer now i get a message that states : NTDLR is missing. Press ctrl + alt + del to start. I undertsand that this could also be the virus that messed things up. I would like to boot from my XP CD to run repair b/c I DON'T have a floppy drive. I wen't into the bios and changed the boot sequence to load the CD first. However, I still get to this message again. Could anyone steer me in some direction to tackle this problem? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Take a look at THIS first and see if it applies..

Also, original XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you?? The reason I ask is because, if the boot sequence is set to the cd-rom first and the XP cd is in the drive, when you reboot you should get an option to boot from the harddrive or boot from the cd-rom even before it hits the boot.ini file of Windows!!

Murray

orion_v

orion_v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Murray,

The CD is the original Windows XP home CD, not a copy. Thanks for the link, the explanation of the problem makes all the sense in the world. That's exactly what this virus does, it replicates itself each time I reboot into my root directory and fills it up with files, along with other folders. I will try to boot up from the CD again tonight and follow their recommended procedure using the windows CD. I'll go ahead and return the boot sequence to its original order, however I'm pretty sure I will get that error message again.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Give it a try and let me know what happens!!

Murray

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
well i have been thru the same prb and i survived but i used the floppy drive ..... but i can help -- just do the things mentioned!

1st wht files are required for a proper boot!
1. NTLDR
2. boot.ini
3. NTDETECT.COM
-- all these files can be found in this zip file
http://1gighost.net/...boy/xpquick.zip
- just replace them to your first partition - these files reside in the 1st partition if i am right even if that partition aint the root partiton. ....u can replace them using a live CD from linux (eg. [bleep] Small Linux, Knoppix, Linspire etc) or from Windows! or u may also try it by connecting ur HDD to another system!

BEFORE THAT
b4 trying the above i will give u a easier option - i have attached an image file that will make a bootable CD for ur windows - i have done this assuming that ur windows is in the 1st partition, if not i should edit the boot.ini file! hope u can make the best out of it! ...if it dosent work just post a msg!....i have given here *.iso file which i have a doubt abt, i also have a *.nrg file that will work only with nero, if u do have access tp nero plz let me know! .....meanwhile try this and let me know if it worked!

-hope i have been helpful!!

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ntldr is also available in cd .. xp setup cd copy from there too

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey sry here are both the files in the zip file! couldnt upload the image directly!

Attached Files

orion_v

orion_v

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for the help cybermaniac...man sure glad i found this site...

Ok so this means that my original XP cd won't work as a startup disk...I'm hoping my roomate has a burner b/c I can't download anything at work. I'll go ahead and give this a try and report back. As far as "what partition" I'm pretty sure its in the first partition b/c I don't remember making additional ones while setting up windows. I used the NTFS option just as an FYI.