Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Path

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Im looking to upgrade my system within a few months for around about £200

my system at present is:
* i5 750 (stock speeds)
*8gig 1600mhz Ram
*HD5770
*Hyper 580watt PSU

I use this for gaming on a 22" monitor at 1920x1080 mostly looking to play bf3 / Deus Ex 3 etc.

Im looking at upgrading to a HD6950 - however, firstly is my psu capable of powering this? and secondly is this the best thing I could upgrade on my PC, is there an alternative more cost effective upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Most HD6950 cards recommend a 500W minimum PSU so 580W does not give you much headroom, other things that will determine whether the PSU needs to be changed are the amount of amps that the card requires on the 12V rails and the number of 6 or 8 pin pci-e connections required.
If spending £200 on a GFX card I would feel more comfortable with a 600-650W PSU with an 80% efficiency rating from a proven brand such as Antec or Corsair.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the speedy response.

So I take it my first step down the upgrade path would be to buy a suitable PSU with alot more umph, forgive me but isnt 80watts on a hyper PSU quite alot of extra power anyway above a reccomended 500watt?

Or do you think i would really need to spend money on the PSU first?

Thanks in advance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
See the info at the attached screenshot and you will see where I am coming from, you will know the present PSUs power connections whereas I do not and is the reason that I wanted to make sure you had all the information that you need to know, I have never owned a Hyper PSU so cannot speak from experience regarding the brand I have however used Corsair PSUs for a while and never had any problems with any and so is the reason for my preference.
I mentioned the continuous 80% output performance because of the high demands graphic intensive games and cards place on the PSU which if using one not up to the task is the first component to fail and quite often take the rest of the system with it.
As I said in post #2

things that will determine whether the PSU needs to be changed are the amount of amps that the card requires on the 12V rails and the number of 6 or 8 pin pci-e connections required.

My advice is to check that the present PSU can meet the requirements as listed below.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
After taking note of what you have said, I have used www.hwcompare.com to play around with a few different cards, I have reassesed my options and for £200 I dont think its worth upgrading my PSU just yet. What are your thoughts on any other alternative, I dont belive in brand allegiance and this has taken my eye as a possible upgrade; http://www.overclock...X-114-MS&tool=3 that or something similar? maybe the HD6850/70.

As I see it the HD5770 - is the weakest part of my system? - Once again this system is used primarily for gaming.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Very capable card, it does require 2 X 6 pin pci-e connections from the PSU.
I find reading reviews at places such as Newegg in the US or Scan in the UK
helps avoid making the wrong choice http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127565 for example.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for this, I think my best bet would be to upgrade to the 560ti at the moment, then I feel my pc will be sufficient for a further 18 months of new release games.. should the Ti provide a good improvement for around the £170 mark? over the 5770.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

should the Ti provide a good improvement for around the £170 mark? over the 5770.

Reading reviews written by users of the cards and comparing specs will answer this question more appropriately than someone such as myself who has used neither, I will however willingly compare the specs of any potential card/s before you make a purchase.